• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm ready to purchase my first Kamado grill, but am torn between which size to go for. I have several friends who own the standard "Large" size Kamados (brand doesn't really matter), but they've all said they wish they would've gotten the X-Large one because it would be nice would cooking for larger gatherings. This obviously has me leaning towards the XL size, however, the majority of the time that I'll be using this will be for my family of 4 so I'm wondering about the amount of coal that I'll be using.

This might be a stupid question, but keep in mind that I've yet to own a Kamado so I really don't know. If I go with an XL model am I going to be using a significantly larger amount of coal when doing some quick burgers for my family that I would be with a "Large" sized grill? I currently use a gas grill that I grill on around 2 or 3 times a week so it'll be getting a lot of use. 

Thanks!

You can reuse it so you should be ok on the coal front.  I have a KJ classic and am very happy with it.  I have a family of 4 and it does what we need.  The few times I need more space, I use an extender or fire up the gasser.  It would be nice to have the BJ, but not necessary.  

I was in a similar situation. I wanted a big Joe so bad just didn’t want to pay for it. One afternoon I was looking at local area classified ads and saw a Primo oval Xl. At that point I realized it was what I really needed. With the fire box divider I can conserve lump for week night family cooks and for bigger cooks take out the divider. Plenty of room for a Packer brisket and more especially with the extender rack options. 60A1CEE1-56CE-4963-B367-EDD28FFABD47.thumb.jpeg.c7c164456eefade9ee64555291acb363.jpeg

1 minute ago, Smoque'n said:

I was in a similar situation. I wanted a big Joe so bad just didn’t want to pay for it. One afternoon I was looking at local area classified ads and saw a Primo oval Xl. At that point I realized it was what I really needed. With the fire box divider I can conserve lump for week night family cooks and for bigger cooks take out the divider. Plenty of room for a Packer brisket and more especially with the extender rack options. 60A1CEE1-56CE-4963-B367-EDD28FFABD47.thumb.jpeg.c7c164456eefade9ee64555291acb363.jpeg

Also the price point of one of these is closer to a large size kamado from other brands. Full disclosure mine came with add ones and accessories so that might close the price gap if purchased new.

You could get an L/Classic and supplement with another grill or use a firebox divider for the XL/Mondo Joe for straight grilling recipes if that's most of your cooking. I got a Big Joe/Joe Jr combo from Costco. If I didn't get the demo deal I'd have got the Big Joe and used my Smokey Joe. The KJ with Divide and Conquer system allows you to cook more than just your protein, I like to use one side for my meats, and the other for veggie sides, but I only do that on the big Joe. I thought that the classic would have been just a wee bit too small, as my Akorn was bigger than the classic and it felt a little tight to me. Dislaimer: I came from barrel grills where I'm used to acres of space, so I'm sure that coloured my perceptions. Lots of people use the L/Classic size with no complaints.

And the other note is if you're worried about the cost of charcoal, don't look at the price tag of Kamados! Hopefully some who cook 3+ times/week will post up charcoal costs. I'm lucky if I get 2x/wk. At that, one bag of KJ lasts me a month or more, so $23/month?

I have an XL BGE and really like it. I don't need the extra space all the time, but it's nice to have it when you need it (Holidays, parties, making food for events etc). I don't really know how much "more" lump I'm using by having an XL.  

1 hour ago, BOOMSTICK069 said:

Go with the XL no matter what brand it is. You'll find yourself being glad you have the extra space as you become more experienced with kamado cooking. I have the Primo Oval XL and wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Complete agreement.

XL size is highly useful.

I really enjoy the spilt ring heat deflectors and how they make it real easy to move from direct to indirect during a cook.  Wing magic !

Being able to divide the firebox is also something that I've done quite often.

I started with a large. It was fine 98 percent of the time. For the other 2 percent I added a Big Joe. Now I use the Big Joe for the vast majority of my large and small cooks. If I were looking to have just 1 kamado it would be an xl size. It's not a necessity, but it's nice.

if you are on the fence...go xl. 

As for charcoal use, I have never paid attention to the difference in my large ceramic and xl ceramic. I'm confident the xl must use a bit more. But not a big enough diff that I have ever taken notice.