Intro

Mr Man

Hi all,

Just want to introduce myself. I'm located in Chicagoland and I've been using the Akorn for about 2 months now after having used a Weber for the entirety of my adult life. I've been mostly doing direct heat grilling, but now that I have a stone/diffuser I'm planning to do some more low-temp, big cuts this fall. 

What I've seen on this forum so far has been very helpful, so I'd like to than you all for cultivating quality info here! 

Happy grilling,

Mr. Man

Thanks guys!

I’ve done plenty of low-n-slow using some mods on my weber kettle. Also lots of Brazilian style churrasco. I’m now looking forward to getting a bit more technical with the Kamado Akorn. 

One thing I still need is a proper thermometer. Any recs for a high quality, low cost option?

1 hour ago, Mr Man said:

Thanks guys!

I’ve done plenty of low-n-slow using some mods on my weber kettle. Also lots of Brazilian style churrasco. I’m now looking forward to getting a bit more technical with the Kamado Akorn. 

One thing I still need is a proper thermometer. Any recs for a high quality, low cost option?

Welcome to Kamado Guru!

Search Amazon for "Lava Tools".  They are great and a bargain value as low as $24.

Well low cost and quality dont generally go hand in hand, though value is also a perspective right. Several things you need to think about before purchasing. Are you looking for simple instant read or looking for remote? Bluetooth or wireless? online tracking or dont care? Personally i am partial to thermoworks but there are lots out there that function weil. I just picked up an instant read for i think it was 19 on sale for a buddy so he could start to learn. And PP is usually on point for things recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 4:29 PM, ifican said:

Well low cost and quality dont generally go hand in hand, though value is also a perspective right. Several things you need to think about before purchasing. Are you looking for simple instant read or looking for remote? Bluetooth or wireless? online tracking or dont care? Personally i am partial to thermoworks but there are lots out there that function weil. I just picked up an instant read for i think it was 19 on sale for a buddy so he could start to learn. And PP is usually on point for things recommended.

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a low-cost instant read thermo (ArcleTek brand) that seems to work well for now. As winter approaches, something wireless might be worthwhile.