just4fn

New Flame Boss 300

The Flame Boss 300 does everything it says.  I was tired of my Maverick losing connection, so I wanted a wifi alternative.  I decided on the Flame Boss 300.  It can accept up to 3 probes, fan control and is wifi.  I have used it one time so far and it works fantastic.  I can monitor on my pc or phone without the connection loss.  Here is a sample of the pit temp when I did my wings.  I did not have the temp probe installed.  Whats nice is if you just want to monitor meat temps, it's there for you also. Temp was set at 290.  You can see when I opened the lid.  I took the chicken out at 6:30  Can't get anymore stable than that.  Blue line is temp set point,  Red line is pit temp and green line is the fan Percentage. 

image.thumb.png.fcb04fc4f902985d8704a883fc628831.png

I have recommended the the Flame Boss to every Kamado owner I know.  While I feel I can control my KJ temps pretty well without it, the benefit of not having to check my KJ on overnight cooks  justified the cost.  I am impressed by the controller as my temps typically stay 2-3 deg around set point.  I did follow a suggestion of John and extended the open pause time.  I found the KJ holds temp so well that the default pause time caused the fan to run too soon and would just result in overshoots. 

4 hours ago, Team PCBeach said:

I have recommended the the Flame Boss to every Kamado owner I know.  While I feel I can control my KJ temps pretty well without it, the benefit of not having to check my KJ on overnight cooks  justified the cost.  I am impressed by the controller as my temps typically stay 2-3 deg around set point.  I did follow a suggestion of John and extended the open pause time.  I found the KJ holds temp so well that the default pause time caused the fan to run too soon and would just result in overshoots. 

Has your Flame boss updated to the current firmware?  2.03.01?   they made the open pit automatic with no adjustments

I just got my flame boss last week.  I was looking at the settings.  It had the open pit settings.  They updated the firmware which is also automatic.  I was looking at settings and could not find the open pit settings.  I emailed them and this is their response:

The open pit feature was changed to an automatic process with the 2.03.001 firmware update. Rather than have to manually set an open pit pause now the controller automatically turns the fan off when the lid is opened and turns the fan back on after the lid is closed and senses the pit temperature is increasing once again.

2 hours ago, just4fn said:

I just got my flame boss last week.  I was looking at the settings.  It had the open pit settings.  They updated the firmware which is also automatic.  I was looking at settings and could not find the open pit settings.  I emailed them and this is their response:

The open pit feature was changed to an automatic process with the 2.03.001 firmware update. Rather than have to manually set an open pit pause now the controller automatically turns the fan off when the lid is opened and turns the fan back on after the lid is closed and senses the pit temperature is increasing once again.

I will have to try it then. I just sent them an email about changing that setting parameter not knowing they have done away with it.  I fear the auto setting might not work great on a kamado.

Absolutely love my FlameBoss 300.   It keeps the temperature very consistent in many KJJ. I don’t mind the new firmware update at all. While I don’t have control over that particular feature, in the big picture, it’s not a big deal at all because over the course of a 12 or 14 hour cook,  it is negligible. The flame boss 300 allows me to do Long cooks and not have to be a slave to the grill. Last night put on a pork butt, watched some football,  got a good nights sleep and didn’t have to worry about my cook because the Flame Boss took care of everything just perfectly.  My brother-in-law has been using a Flame Boss 300 with his Kamado  since Father’s Day and it has never failed him. Because I did not have an electrical outlet convenient to location of my KJ, I bought the rechargeable battery pack from Flame Boss. It works great! 

Highly recommended to Kamado owners!

On 10/21/2017 at 1:24 PM, just4fn said:

Has your Flame boss updated to the current firmware?  2.03.01?   they made the open pit automatic with no adjustments

I will have to check this.  I am sure I am on current firmware as I think the Flame Boss updates literally every time I use it.  I have never gone back and checked my open pit settings though.

New firmware update just now 2.04.001,  They reinstated the open pit manual control and bug fixes:

Version 2.02-2.04

1. Added back the maximum open pause setting (find it in Other Menu) so users can set the maximum time that the controller will stay in open pit mode.
  2. Added bug fixes and other minor enhancements.

16 minutes ago, just4fn said:

New firmware update just now 2.04.001,  They reinstated the open pit manual control and bug fixes:

Version 2.02-2.04

1. Added back the maximum open pause setting (find it in Other Menu) so users can set the maximum time that the controller will stay in open pit mode.
  2. Added bug fixes and other minor enhancements.

I just fired mine up to download the firmware update.  This might make it a better situation on a Kamado if the open pit time will allow you to set it out beyond 10 minutes.