New Flame Boss 300

just4fn

I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but what's the difference between the 200 and 300?  Is the ONLY difference the ability to buy adapters and add meat probes?  Can the 200 also work with Alexa, and connect to Wifi, and do all of those other cool things?  

23 hours ago, mstewart39 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but what's the difference between the 200 and 300?  Is the ONLY difference the ability to buy adapters and add meat probes?  Can the 200 also work with Alexa, and connect to Wifi, and do all of those other cool things?  

Wait, are you telling me the 300 will connect to Alexa.  Like, I would be able to set temps and Alexa would tell me when it’s done?  This both excites me and concerns me.

14 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Wait, are you telling me the 300 will connect to Alexa.  Like, I would be able to set temps and Alexa would tell me when it’s done?  This both excites me and concerns me.

yup,  ask and it will tell you the pit temp, meat temp and change the temp if you want.    I dont use it but had to set it up anyways lol

Ok it's been rock solid, going to say my lump wasn't allowing good airflow not allowing the FB to do it's job properly. 

Cleaned all the lump out of it and made sure it would be able to breathe well when I added the new stuff.    

Final results is it worked awesome, seemed to be a case of user error.       Held at 240 plus or minus a few degrees.      Increased the temp for the last two hrs and it handled that good as well, small overshoot but locked in pretty fast.

So make sure your lump pile will breath well and this will do the job

• 2 weeks later...

I used the FB300 on my Big Joe this last weekend. It worked wonderfully! At first I lit the coals and seasoned the meat and then decided to open the package to the FB... big mistake. By the time the FB was all set up and ready to go, grill was at 360 deg. So I closed the top vent fully, and let it slowly cool down, after about 30-45 mins, it was right at 225 deg. (where I had it set) afterwords, heeding y'alls advice, I opened the top vent only slightly and it worked perfectly. (note: I have Big Joe II with new Control Tower Top Vent, literally had it open enough to fit a toothpick into was all it took to keep from over shooting)

Check out my cook with @FlameBossSmokes
https://myflameboss.com/cooks/217693

I was doing a lot of messing around with the temps and features so its going to look a bit erratic. haha 

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 12.32.17 PM.png

So, I forgot to input; I know its a smoker and its not going to be perfect, but it technically does over shoot but not by more than a few degrees, and its not too much or anything. but if I'm wrong please let me know. BTW the ribs tasted PHENOMENAL....so...

I read a good article recently (it could have even been on here, not sure) that talks about how recipes used to say warm, moderate or hot oven. I think we get way to hung up on temperatures these days! Don't get me wrong, I will still probably get a controller for those overnight cooks on the Akorn, but otherwise I just set it and try to ignore it until it's done.

28 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I read a good article recently (it could have even been on here, not sure) that talks about how recipes used to say warm, moderate or hot oven. I think we get way to hung up on temperatures these days! Don't get me wrong, I will still probably get a controller for those overnight cooks on the Akorn, but otherwise I just set it and try to ignore it until it's done.

You're kinda right, but also kinda wrong

People are a little too anal about temperature. I've seen beginner bbq guys stress cause their grill is sitting at 250f rather than the 225f they wanted, or worry when their dome temp is 20f different to their grate temp.

That having been said

When it comes to low and slow cooking, one of the important things is to maintain a stable temperature.

Its not so much about what temp (225f-275f) but more that once you get it where you want it (or close enough to it) it is stable for the majority of the cook

Bouncing between 225f and 300f as you're constantly adjusting vents trying to get your fire under control are ideal conditions to break down muscle tissue or render fat over long periods of time

Yeah, I know I need to learn the grill itself by just letting it do its thing, but I also cook for a lot of people, and cant afford to ruin $100's of $$ worth of meat... and I will learn it as ive done in the past with the gasser and the weber kettle, but its nice to know that if there IS something wrong with the meat, I KNOW its not the temperature, or at least the inconsistency of what ever temperature is set. Plus im a bit of a perfectionist, so its difficult for me to "let it go" sometimes... ;-)

I'm confused by your graph.  I have the Big Joe (and love it.)  I see a few times when your pit temp appears to be around 220, and within 15 minutes it's around 160-170.  Mine physically can't do that.  Unless I put a block of ice in there, nothing will cause the temperature to drop that quickly.  

Does the air blowing initially reduce, and then increase the temps?  I'd love to see a similar graph without the controller.  

I'm on the fence with a controller.  The geek in me wants one, but I'm not sure the Big Joe needs it.  When I used the Akorn all the time I would have loved one, but I'm not sure I'd need it on the BJ.

those drop spikes are when I opened the lid (I couldn't fight the urge, and just did it). I think it shows a super low temp because the temp probe gets cool for a second when cool air comes in. Its only for a minute or so. Also, I was messing with it a lot, taking the probe in and out of the meat, changing the temp on my phone (to see if it really worked) at one point I forgot to put the probe back in... yeah, I may have had a beer or two while I was smoking... and since it was new, I just wanted to fidget...haha even still, with all that, the KJ kept the food perfectly cooked! next time ill take pics and share.. 

5 hours ago, BeerdedRooster said:

those drop spikes are when I opened the lid (I couldn't fight the urge, and just did it). I think it shows a super low temp because the temp probe gets cool for a second when cool air comes in. Its only for a minute or so. Also, I was messing with it a lot, taking the probe in and out of the meat, changing the temp on my phone (to see if it really worked) at one point I forgot to put the probe back in... yeah, I may have had a beer or two while I was smoking... and since it was new, I just wanted to fidget...haha even still, with all that, the KJ kept the food perfectly cooked! next time ill take pics and share.. 

OK, now that makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

(I feel silly that I didn't think of that...)