Sign in to follow this  
Polar Bear

Hammer Stahl Knives

Not wanting to derail the other Knife thread, I was wondering if anyone has any experience/feedback on Hammer Stahl Knives?

http://www.hammerstahl.com/

My local BBQ supplier has just started carrying them and they look like a pretty decent mid range option

I was considering their complete block to complement the 10inch Shun Knife I already have and use a lot, especially considering the block comes with a 10inch Brisket knife  

Plus, I've just renovated my kitchen and they would look really nice sitting on my bench, not that that's a super important factor when buying knives

They do look like nice knives. Seems that many are out of stock. That could be a good thing or bad. I would like to see a little more info on the knife instead of the same info that is on every knife description. Waiting to here more input. 

Here's the description from their website.

Our cutlery is made from top-quality German X50CrMoV15 high carbon stainless steel. It is forged and tempered to precise specifications and a Rockwell hardness of 55 - 57 that provides a superior edge and lasting durability.

The razor sharp edges are precisely measured by laser for a world-class cutting edge. The blades are sharpened to a 20 degree bevel angle.

Our Pakkawood handles are infused with phenolic resin that combines the beautiful look of wood with the durability of plastic.

They look nice and they look a lot like my Gunter Wilhelm clever. (They may be made by the same manufacturer) The price is nice but as deck states above they are out of stock on many items. At only 55 - 57 Rockwell hardness they will be very forgiving but may need to be sharpened more often than a harder steel. Their 20 degree bevel is close the maximum bevel you would / could put on a 55 - 57 Rockwell hardness blade. Not sure I'd buy the complete set unless I wanted the 8 steak knives that come with it.

Both myself and my son have a selection of Flint & Flame (otherwise known as Rhineland) which I think may be an more expensive variant of the Hammerstahl knives. The steel seems to be the same quality and hardness. Interestingly the Flint & Flame ones are sharpened to 18 degrees not 20. What I can say is they are razor sharp and hold their edge very well. They also sell a little ceramic wheel type sharpener which works well - although it does wear out and loose it's effectiveness fairly quickly.  Handling wise they do take a bit of getting used to but once over that they really are great.

In the UK they tend to have stands at places like food-fairs where they sell at quite heavily discounted prices and I've also seen them in Costco. If they go to similar fairs etc in the US you may want to check them out and try them...

https://www.flintandflame.com/

Received the special offer today, a 5-1/2" Santoku that looks nice, feels good in the hand and is very sharp out of the box.  Will probably use it to carve my T-Day turkey for this month's challenge so there will be some pictures.  After chopping some vegetables for turkey gravy it replaced a little used boning knife in my block.