Kansas City BBQ restaurant suggestions?

cschaaf

Just got a call from the boss and will have to do a quick trip to KC then Minneapolis next week.

I'll be on the ground in KC for about 24 hours. Should be there for at least 1 lunch, maybe 2, and one dinner.

Never been to KC. Anyone have any BBQ restaurant suggestions? Plenty to choose from - I need some help narrowing it down ;)

Thanks!

ETA: I should add some preferences to maybe help narrow it down.

I'd love some brisket or pulled pork. Chicken would be next on my list, followed by sausage. My lowest priority would be ribs.

• 2 weeks later...

Still on my way home from this road trip, but I thought I'd pop in and give a summary of what I did:

I was able to try two BBQ places in KC: Slaps and Joe's

Went to Slaps for lunch. Had a sandwich with brisket and sausage and a side of beans. 

The sausage was very good. Nice flavors, good snap, a bit of char. The brisket was good. Thick slices that were very tender. A little dry, but not too bad.

The sandwich was a mess after the first few bites and I had to resort to picking the meat out with a fork. Not a huge issue. 

The beans were good, but way too sweet for me. They were like dessert lol

Went to the original Joe's for dinner. 

Had a brisket and pulled pork plate with a side of beans. 

The pork was very good. Tender, juicy. The bark was very soft, probably sits in a steaming tray. The big negative for the pork was that there was so much fat. My third bite was a mouthful of a giant blob of fat. Gross. Almost made me not want to continue. 

After that, I picked through the pork very carefully. By the end of the meal, I had a small heap of pork fat on the side of my tray. It almost filled the little cup that the beans came in. It was like I ordered a side of pork fat with my meat lol

The brisket was. well, disappointing. It was sliced very, very thin. It was dry and didn't have much flavor. And it was room temperature at best. It obviously hadn't been in the steaming tray recently. 

It also had a thick layer of fat. Since the meat wasn't warm, it was difficult to separate off that fat. 

The positive is - it made me feel much better about my brisket skills - which are poor, at best.

The beans were good. Good flavors, a bit of heat,  not overly sugary. 

The best part about Joe's is that they had a little store with rubs and sauces. Most of which I have no access to locally. 

I picked up some The Slabs Bird and Bones. I've heard great things, but never tried it. It was about $3 cheaper than you can find online. 

I considered getting a few more, but I don't have a lot of room to store runs and I wondered if they would make it through TSA. 

It made it through KC TSA without issue. But when leaving Minneapolis, they took it out of my bag and had to test it. They made me open it, the sprinkled some on a test strip, then broke out some chemistry kit and tested with several solutions. Eventually, they handed it back to me and it made it home. 

I'm glad I didn't pick up a combo pack or something. I'd still be there watching them play junior chemist. 

1 hour ago, ero4444 said:

>>  had to test it. 

big laff - I thought they were going to taste it.

I kind of expected the guy to ask to taste it. 

You better believe I gave it a taste since I had to open it. lol