Sign in to follow this  
just4fn

Here's the reason for the safety strap

Here is the 1st picture I took of the safety strap when I install the band.  I decided not to drill thru my grill because I didn't want to destroy it.  The second picture is what the band is doing. It has lifted.  I have tightened the bands thinking it would be ok, but it's not.  It's apparent I didn't tighten enough even though I thought they were very tight.  I'm going to go buy a mason bit now. 

CIMG0531.JPG

here is where it is lifting.  

CIMG0593.JPG

1Capture.thumb.PNG.14f238b520d877dfca6d384cbadf6008.PNG2Capture.thumb.PNG.cd44858fd5d55f1db2a709029cc8a4dc.PNG

Here's my steps

CIMG0598.JPG

CIMG0599.JPG

CIMG0600.JPG

CIMG0601.JPG

CIMG0603.JPG

all safe and secure now.  Just a note.  I used a small high speed drill bit 1st to make a small pilot hole.  The mason drill kept slipping off the mark. The small drill bit barley made a mark but it was enough start the mason bit. 

Yes I do.  With the straps not installed,  I was cautious every time I lifted the lid because that is why I got it for free,  the lid broke.  I didn't notice the strap had moved until just the other day.  This is just a warning for what can happen even with tight straps. 

I tightened the top strap and snapped the carriage bolt.  I could not find grade 8 carriage bolts so I used stainless steel.  I was having problems after loosening the bolts and retightening,  the bolts would snap. 

The safety strap is called the "clip kit for Primo XL" and you have to call Primo 770-492-3920 to order as you cannot find this kit on the Primo website (nor on any other website from what I can determine).  Cost is $1 plus shipping ($8-11).  It may take a few calls to reach a human being at Primo, and they are really slow about returning calls if you leave a message, so I recommend just calling until you get through.  The lady told me Primo recommends this kit be installed on all XL grills.

Thanks for your post identifying this part and the need to do it.  It is not a well-documented issue with the Primo XL's