• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Ben S

Do you like the InstaPot?

I am tempted to pick one up. I am not sure I need it, but I keep hearing rave reviews. This is my first round of research...

what are are they good for? 

I bought one for Tonya and she loves it.  @Rak73 has one also.  There is an instant pot community on facebook that has half a million members.  There are loads of recipes there.

What's it good for?

Anything you can do in a slow cooker and/or a pressure cooker.

I've been thinking about getting one for a while based on my addiction to smokers and sous vide.  But I can't seem to justify it.  I can't think of anything that I would use it for.

The only thing I use my slow cooker for is to re-heat chili when I make it on the smoker.  

Are there particular things that Tonya makes that you think, "yes, this makes the instant pot worth it"?

1 hour ago, mstewart39 said:

I've been thinking about getting one for a while based on my addiction to smokers and sous vide.  But I can't seem to justify it.  I can't think of anything that I would use it for.

The only thing I use my slow cooker for is to re-heat chili when I make it on the smoker.  

Are there particular things that Tonya makes that you think, "yes, this makes the instant pot worth it"?

That's a question kind of like "do I need a Kamado when I can cook all this stuff on a $100 Weber kettle?"  If you haven't experienced the time savings on a lot of different cooks with a pressure cooker then don't waste your money on one.  If you don't think you would use it for anything other than as a slow cooker, you can get a nice crock pot for $30.    I'm not trying to sell anyone an Instant Pot and I can't tell you anything about it first hand because I have never used it.  My girlfriend loves it and uses it so much that she want's a second one.  

56 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

That's a question kind of like "do I need a Kamado when I can cook all this stuff on a $100 Weber kettle?"  If you haven't experienced the time savings on a lot of different cooks with a pressure cooker then don't waste your money on one.  If you don't think you would use it for anything other than as a slow cooker, you can get a nice crock pot for $30.    I'm not trying to sell anyone an Instant Pot and I can't tell you anything about it first hand because I have never used it.  My girlfriend loves it and uses it so much that she want's a second one.  

You're looking at my question backwards....I want one.  I just can't seem to figure out WHY I want one.  

Every sous vide / smoker I've purchased had a specific thing in mind that I wanted to cook.  I'm struggling to find that excuse on the pressure cooker!  

We picked one up and here are a few things we have used it for....

• Pinto beans, it does them perfectly in 90 minutes hands free.
  • It is programmed to cook rice and does a bunch quickly hands free.
  • It has a yogurt setting, we turn a gallon of milk in to perfect yogurt using it.
  • Makes easy/perfect/bulk hard boiled eggs
  • butter chicken
  • PERFECT crab legs in 2 minutes

My wife makes all kinds of dinners in freezer bags, she will pull one out, dump it in and a short time later dinner - hands off while it cooks.

I want to can peppers and cucumbers with it, I'm also looking forward to making cottage cheese and fresca in it.  We have also done various slow cooker recipes in it.  

The major benefit for us was that it replaced the slow cooker and presented a whole new set of capabilities for us in the kitchen.  When you cook with pressure things go real fast and once you start it you don't have to monitor it, it's automatic.

I want to make a few clarifying stements though....

• When someone tells you it only took 5 minutes in the IP that doesn't count the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to pressure.
  • The folks in the Instant Pot community are a bit crazy - meaning their goal is to do EVERYTHING in their IP.  You shouldn't in my opinion bake bread in one but apparently you can.
  • It's super at pumping out roasts in very short order (I do mine on the kamado)
  • Most of the recipes for the IP are about saving time.
  • It is nice not to have to watch stuff while it cooks.
  • YES, the wife loves it.

I have had my electric Instant Pot for 3 years now. 

1 hour ago, philpom said:

I want to make a few clarifying stements though....

• When someone tells you it only took 5 minutes in the IP that doesn't count the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to pressure.
  • The folks in the Instant Pot community are a bit crazy - meaning their goal is to do EVERYTHING in their IP.  You shouldn't in my opinion bake bread in one but apparently you can.
  • It's super at pumping out roasts in very short order (I do mine on the kamado)
  • Most of the recipes for the IP are about saving time.
  • It is nice not to have to watch stuff while it cooks.
  • YES, the wife loves it.

Many, many amazing cooks have come out of mine. PhilPom is spot on. The Instant Pot people are all in. Once one gets comfortable you can adapt some conventional recipes over to a pressure cooker.

-prep time is prep time. The cooking is super fast-tht's the true time saver.

-it's a great kitchen tool. but like not using a screwdriver as a chisel, don't try to get the Instant Pot to do something like smoking meats.

-so many times I keep hearing the over worn, outdated anecdotes about how someone (usually Grandma or an Aunt) exploded this or that on the ceiling. The new electrics are super safe and well designed. 

Some of my favs.

Wild rice, oatmeal, brown rice, BBQ chicken thighs, chili, stews, chicken paprikash, boneless chops with apples. The list goes on.

For those of you already pressure cooking, look at the attch.

6 Tips For Perfect Pressure Cooker Cooking.html

One other discovery. All slow cookers used to be cook at a bona fide  high/low temp. Due to litigation in the industry, high or low means how long it will take to get to 210 degrees(an industry standard it seems)-not cook at a  low/high temp. It's only about a 2 hr. difference. They say people were under cooking on low and getting sick.

How do I know this? I was out sick last year and did some major research as I was in disbelief. Ruined some cooks too.

Many older recipes don't account for that and one ends up overcooking on low fairly quickly. I.e. the recipe says low for 8 hrs. but the newer slow cookers don't really do that unless you manually intervene.

So if you have an older crock pot 8 -10 years old or more (I'm not sure of the exact date) you may not have this issue.

My Instant Pot has a slow cook feature. You can choose your temp and it remains at that temp as long as you choose.

"The folks in the Instant Pot community are a bit crazy - meaning their goal is to do EVERYTHING in their IP.  You shouldn't in my opinion bake bread in one but apparently you can."

Unlike people in the Kamado community that do everything on their Kamado's??   Sorta like the pot calling the kettle black.  default_rolling.gif.b3614284f4e4fc8c2648088cece2ee75.gif   We have an IP because it replaced several appliances and saved storage space.   

My wife loves her slow cooker and still wont let me convince her to go to a modern pressure cooker of some sort. Looks like we can't get the IP in Australia, but we do have similar products. Maybe I need to drop the crock from her slow cooker, although it is a bit cold sleeping outside at the moment.

Ironically enough I drank the instant pot koolaid this past weekend. I got the Ultra for something like $103 total including tax after I used a Kohl’s 30% off plus a $10 off plus a free shipping. Won’t get here until Friday, but looking forward to it. Have an older electric pressure cooker we use occasionally. It can be finicky about holding pressure... I think I’ll have fun with the instant pot, but it’s probably going to live at work. The husband didn’t seem impressed. I’m tried ordering it during football so he wouldn’t notice. It didn’t work.  :-?

16 hours ago, philpom said:

My wife makes all kinds of dinners in freezer bags, she will pull one out, dump it in and a short time later dinner - hands off while it cooks.

Can you give me examples of this?  This is what I envisioned using my sous vide machine but it just seemed a little unsafe food safety wise. I'm always interesting in learning about food related things, you never know what will pop out at you. (That's how I found out about kamados, after all)

My wife just bought one last week and we have only used it once.  We decided to try and make some shredded pork for tacos.  I bought a 4 lb pack of "country style ribs" which is really a Boston Butt cut into strips.  I used a recipe that was in the included recipe book for a 4 lb. pork roast.  I just seasoned the ribs with some salt, McCormick's Pork Rub and Chili Powder, browned them in some vegetable oil using the instant pot, added 1/2 cup water and pressure cooked them for 90 minutes and then let the cooker naturally release the pressure for 20 minutes.  Pork came out perfectly and shredded itself basically.  Made outstanding tacos and since I have used leftovers to make a couple "roasted pork" sandwiches, grilled on sourdough bread.  Next cook will be country style steak.