• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Ben S

Do you like the InstaPot?

1 hour ago, Mewantkj said:

I went 6, but my choice was more because I had a credit at Williams-Sonoma and didn’t want to spent cash. After a week I think I would like a bigger 8 qt version in either ultra or Bluetooth.

While I bet the control is overkill, I am finding white meat chicken is slightly overcooked in the couple recipes I have tried so far.  

Last night I cooked a whole chicken with gravy, it was good and easy.  It could have been great, but I picked this think up to make life easier.  I was limited to a 4 lbs chicken in the 6 qt IP. Family and inlaws demolished it, I like to atleast get one lunch of leftovers in addition to dinner. 

I am still learning. 

Did you break down the chicken or just keep it whole?

I have a 6 qt. Instant Pot/stainless inner pot. In fact making a recipe for White Jambalaya as we speak. That is a converted recipe.

6 or 8 qt? Depends on your plans of what you want to do and size of cooks. I used a 6 qt. Power Pressure Cooker XL as my learner cooker.   No. I did not by it from the Infomercial on a sleepless night.

The 8 qt. is said to be better for canning and larger cooks. I cook for four or make sides at times for larger crowd but have rarely ever wished I had an 8 qt.

I stay off the Pressure cooker forums as those cookers are incredibly passionate about pressure cookers as we are about Kamados and such.

Those cats may have some "druthers" about pot size.

M.

Hey. A couple more thoughts. As we know different foods cooks at different rates, and if time is an issue, I would cook some items in a 6 qt. pot, and the rest in a 6/8 qt..  Combine ingredients later on.

That setup is the holy grail of pressure cooking.

Maybe. It would be fun to see how us Kamado minded cookers can integrate pressure cooking into all the fine Kamado cooks we discuss on the forums. Not sure what that category title would be.

I like our forums as they focus on  Kamados and the "adventures" Kamado cookers who post have.

Yup, I used Kamado 5 times.

M.

I am still learning our Instapot. Wife bought it over a year ago and has been terrified to use it. Still has PTSD from some spaghetti many years ago. I fired it up and made some batches of beans in it. It's flat out amazing in how fast it can cook long simmers/boils/stews. I've only used it a handful of times and I can't say I consider it a solid part of my toolset yet.

So far I've realized if you have to boil/simmer/stew anything for more than a short period, you should look at an instapot. I saw the comment about about mashed potatoes, that's genius and something I've done for years, and even last night, on the stove top without even thinking about it. I'll give that a shot next time.

For weeknight cooks the Instapot can be a huge time-saver.

I'm not yet convinced it provides the same taste as a long, simmering cook for dishes that have traditionally needed time for flavours to meld. Can the IP flash cook flavor too?

10 hours ago, Slowdown said:

I am still learning our Instapot. Wife bought it over a year ago and has been terrified to use it. Still has PTSD from some spaghetti many years ago. I fired it up and made some batches of beans in it. It's flat out amazing in how fast it can cook long simmers/boils/stews. I've only used it a handful of times and I can't say I consider it a solid part of my toolset yet.

So far I've realized if you have to boil/simmer/stew anything for more than a short period, you should look at an instapot. I saw the comment about about mashed potatoes, that's genius and something I've done for years, and even last night, on the stove top without even thinking about it. I'll give that a shot next time.

For weeknight cooks the Instapot can be a huge time-saver.

I'm not yet convinced it provides the same taste as a long, simmering cook for dishes that have traditionally needed time for flavours to meld. Can the IP flash cook flavor too?

I agree completely. A pressure cooker is great for many things but some things really benefit from a longer period of time for the flavors to marry.

I picked up the little 3qt version off Amazon for $50. I live alone so I didn't think I needed a bigger one. Quickly cooking potatoes during weeknights was my main selling point. Either way it was only $50 so it won't kill me if I don't end up using it regularly.