Do you like the InstaPot?

Ben S

The ability to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes in 4 minutes or cooking them for potato salad (with the eggs on top) made it worth it for me.  I can definitely say this will save me on Thanksgiving as it will free up a burner on my stove.  A steamer basket with a handle is a must for this.  I also want to make a cheesecake but since I only have a 6 qt., I need to find a smaller cheesecake pan.

I've used a stove top pressure cooker for decades and never saw a need to buy an electric  version. Last year tho when Amazon had the 6qt Instant Pot model on sale I bought one and must say that it is worth having.

They really are more convenient and don't need any attention. Recipes will take a little longer as the electric pots use a slightly lower pressure but that is no big deal as it is usually just a matter of a few extra minutes.

Glad I got one.

I actually have the pro xxl or something like that but still like the instapot and I love it.  I do pot roast with carrots and potatoes in 60 minutes and it comes out falling apart.  They don't recommend it for canning (the canning police) but I use it for pint size jars and we haven't died yet.  Now that winter is setting in, I will use it more as we live in the Pacific Northwest and when it is raining hard I am not going out to the grill.  I made a lot of potato salad and macaroni salad this summer and it went so quick.  I will try Chili when it gets a little cooler.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:07 AM, shuley said:

Can you give me examples of this?  This is what I envisioned using my sous vide machine but it just seemed a little unsafe food safety wise. I'm always interesting in learning about food related things, you never know what will pop out at you. (That's how I found out about kamados, after all)

@shuley

About once a month we do our bulk cooking/prepping, normally on a Sunday.  Today is the day so I snagged some pictures from our binder.  Hope you can read them.

IMG_20171029_102822529.thumb.jpg.32c2b598b7ad369f8ea380fee9b47bc3.jpg

IMG_20171029_103019301.thumb.jpg.b3d12230edfccf8c38531f390df61720.jpg

IMG_20171029_103004161.thumb.jpg.6b3787318a42694f98ceb71e26ed755d.jpg

IMG_20171029_102843188.thumb.jpg.42624854e333cd39126f9a32639030fd.jpg

IMG_20171029_102936274.thumb.jpg.c3eca49c4fa9454fb5eafdd328db51f0.jpg

IMG_20171029_103246817.thumb.jpg.6b1f697e92d7f65a110e57ce0bc68db3.jpg

We also make 1/3 pound burger patties and freeze them individually before putting in freezer bags, cook and individually freeze breakfast burritos, sausage balls and always have a fatty or 2 frozen and at the ready.

One of our favorites for sous vide is a whole boneless/skinless chicken breast coated in garlic Sriracha sealed in freezer bag.  Goes from freezer straight to the water bath.

I've had my 8Qt for about a month now. I love the damn thing! Only real downfall is it does take longer to prep the meal as to cook it however i think meat dishes turn out way better tasting than the slow cooker equivalents.  

On 10/29/2017 at 8:48 AM, philpom said:

@shuley

About once a month we do our bulk cooking/prepping, normally on a Sunday.  Today is the day so I snagged some pictures from our binder.  Hope you can read them.

IMG_20171029_102822529.thumb.jpg.32c2b598b7ad369f8ea380fee9b47bc3.jpg

IMG_20171029_103019301.thumb.jpg.b3d12230edfccf8c38531f390df61720.jpg

IMG_20171029_103004161.thumb.jpg.6b3787318a42694f98ceb71e26ed755d.jpg

IMG_20171029_102843188.thumb.jpg.42624854e333cd39126f9a32639030fd.jpg

IMG_20171029_102936274.thumb.jpg.c3eca49c4fa9454fb5eafdd328db51f0.jpg

IMG_20171029_103246817.thumb.jpg.6b1f697e92d7f65a110e57ce0bc68db3.jpg

We also make 1/3 pound burger patties and freeze them individually before putting in freezer bags, cook and individually freeze breakfast burritos, sausage balls and always have a fatty or 2 frozen and at the ready.

One of our favorites for sous vide is a whole boneless/skinless chicken breast coated in garlic Sriracha sealed in freezer bag.  Goes from freezer straight to the water bath.

Thank you for the response. How does it differ in the instant pot from slow cooker?

I understand the IP drastically reduces the time needed to make chicken stock (stock; not broth) so that all of the collagen and gelatin is quickly extracted from the chicken.

I'm making stock now on the stove top and I'm about 6 hours in with 2 more to go. I love homemade chicken stock but the time is a big turnoff.

9 minutes ago, shuley said:

Thank you for the response. How does it differ in the instant pot from slow cooker?

None if you use the instant pot slow cooker mode but you can adopt these to pressure cooking or search google for lots of tested ideas.

When I converted my beans recipe I basically looked up some instant pot recipes and used the times they provided for mine.

The key is that we lost nothing going to an instant pot and also got the benefit of pressure cooking in the same device.

Ok, I did my first instant pot cook tonight.  No pics, sorry.   

I made salsa chicken over rice.  

- I am sure I could have figured out how to do this on stove/in oven

- super easy since IP has temp/time/pressure control. 

- the meal was a hit and super easy.  

- the chicken breast came out at 170-180 F IT, but we’re still edible by my standards. 

I an looking forward to the next cook.  

18 hours ago, philpom said:

None if you use the instant pot slow cooker mode but you can adopt these to pressure cooking or search google for lots of tested ideas.

When I converted my beans recipe I basically looked up some instant pot recipes and used the times they provided for mine.

The key is that we lost nothing going to an instant pot and also got the benefit of pressure cooking in the same device.

If you were to take a freezer to crockpot meal, and use it as a pressure cooker meal, how does that change cooking times, and can you also do it from frozen?

3 hours ago, shuley said:

If you were to take a freezer to crockpot meal, and use it as a pressure cooker meal, how does that change cooking times, and can you also do it from frozen?

For example:

A frozen chuck roast will cook in a crock pot on low in 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

A frozen chuck roast will cook in the instant pot using high pressure in 1 hour.

Yes you can go from freezer to pot.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, Mewantkj said:

Ok, I did my first instant pot cook tonight.  No pics, sorry.   

I made salsa chicken over rice.  

- I am sure I could have figured out how to do this on stove/in oven

- super easy since IP has temp/time/pressure control. 

- the meal was a hit and super easy.  

- the chicken breast came out at 170-180 F IT, but we’re still edible by my standards. 

I an looking forward to the next cook.  

thinking of grabbing one of these, i have a $50 amazon card.  do you go with the 6 or 8 qt?

1 hour ago, Freddyj said:

thinking of grabbing one of these, i have a $50 amazon card.  do you go with the 6 or 8 qt?

I'd go for the 8qt because you can fit something good sized in it and if I only had the 6qt I know I would regret it.  The 8 can do anything to 6 can do but not the other way around.

The IP smart model can also do sous vide.

54 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

I went 6, but my choice was more because I had a credit at Williams-Sonoma and didn’t want to spent cash. After a week I think I would like a bigger 8 qt version in either ultra or Bluetooth.

While I bet the control is overkill, I am finding white meat chicken is slightly overcooked in the couple recipes I have tried so far.  

Last night I cooked a whole chicken with gravy, it was good and easy.  It could have been great, but I picked this think up to make life easier.  I was limited to a 4 lbs chicken in the 6 qt IP. Family and inlaws demolished it, I like to atleast get one lunch of leftovers in addition to dinner. 

I am still learning.