• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
K-ville

My XL Egg restoration

Thanks to a tip from @bluayeddvl I bought an XL Green Egg that had been in a fire and  I got it for $100 (Canadian).

For non-Canadians, you have to realize that an XL egg is approaching 3 grand in Canada, so for $100, I thought I'd take a shot at something I would never own otherwise.

The BBQ store that was selling it didn't think it would ever come clean, and that it needed a new hinge. They were wrong on both counts.

I've included some pictures of what it looked like when I picked it up, and what it looked like only 20 minutes later after 

using some Easy-Off oven cleaner to remove the soot.  As you can see, it looks like new and it was super easy to clean.

Before:

20171025_161207.thumb.jpg.161b16152a29ed2fc6459ab6181b2e5b.jpg

After 20 minutes:

20171025_184041.thumb.jpg.f72609d54acf48b275b72cbd41eeefd3.jpg

The hinge is fine other than one spring that is slightly over stretched, but I should be able to get a replacement fairly easily. 

20171025_165557.thumb.jpg.8a3578bf9e303de0d362b0d0cce0eceb.jpg

It doesn't have a vent cap, but I think I'll get a Smokeware cap for it for about $60 unless I can find some used parts for cheaper. 

This weekend I'll replace the charred wood handle, which will be fairly simple. 

20171025_165508.thumb.jpg.afc885707bc808c0f0661346a0504027.jpg

My biggest challenge is that there is no fire box. I'm hoping to find someone with a used fire box that was broken or cracked and repair that for use. Another option that  I have seen others use is refractory fire bricks and refractory cement to build a circular fire chamber. Not sure how that will go, but for the few bucks that fire bricks cost, I'll try some experiments before proceeding. 

If that doesn't seem feasible, I may just spring for a new fire box, but they run about $350 up here.  I'd still be into this thing for way less money than new, or even used for that matter, but I'd like to keep my costs down as much as possible. 

Oh, and they said the thermometer was toast, but I removed it, cleaned it, and tested it, and it works just fine. 

I didn't try the Easy-Off on the bottom slider, but some fine steel wool looks like it will clean it up just fine. Here's a quick test showing some soot removed after a few strokes. 

20171025_170212.thumb.jpg.39063678bde7d626e049f68011a9b55d.jpg

If nothing else, I have a project and I'm having a ton of fun., which is worth a hundred bucks on its own.  Plus it's kind of cool to now be "legally" able to say "I have and egg"...lol. 

I still love my 5-year old vision classic B, but having this green beast is something else. Can't wait to load it up with some big meat. 

If anyone has suggestions, warnings, thoughts, words of wisdom, I'd love to hear it. I'll try and update this post as I progress.

Brian

That definitely looks like a great deal for a restoration project.  I would reach out to Big Green Egg directly and see if they would be willing to help you out on the parts you need, especially the firebox.  Tell them your story and see what they might be willing to do for you.

52 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

That definitely looks like a great deal for a restoration project.  I would reach out to Big Green Egg directly and see if they would be willing to help you out on the parts you need, especially the firebox.  Tell them your story and see what they might be willing to do for you.

I just sent an email to Green Egg Canada. We'll see what happens. 

I just wish the folks at BGE would sell parts instead of entire assemblies. I need one spring, but I would have to buy a $250 band/hinge assembly to get the spring....sigh. There's nothing wrong with the band or hinge, but the spring got over stretched in the fire and isn't doing its job.

Anyone got a spring, or know where to get one spring?

if you had the specs, or could pull one off, maybe a shop like Ottawa Fasteners or similar would likely have something close enough.

perhaps even one of the techs at Malmberg, out by Capital City, may have something similar

57 minutes ago, bluayeddvl said:

if you had the specs, or could pull one off, maybe a shop like Ottawa Fasteners or similar would likely have something close enough.

perhaps even one of the techs at Malmberg, out by Capital City, may have something similar

Ya, checked Ottawa Fasteners today and bought a few springs to try, but the egg has a weird stretched out extended piece at the end and a regular return spring doesn't work.  But hey, keep those ideas coming. Thx.

Dude, sweet score, I hope you find the parts you need. I hate to direct anyone away from here but the b.g.e. Forums have a lotta folks...some may have what you need. 

5 hours ago, K-ville said:

...Anyone got a spring, or know where to get one spring?

McMaster-Carr is your friend. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for "tension spring" and I get:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tension-springs/=19zllg7

Matching wire diameter should let you pick one that fits, and has the right "pull."

OK, so you have to buy a dozen... most are still under $10 US. 

Frank

eggspring.jpg.3003935e0ac6939551d80aa8c06b42db.jpg

9 hours ago, fbov said:

McMaster-Carr is your friend. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for "tension spring" and I get:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tension-springs/=19zllg7

Matching wire diameter should let you pick one that fits, and has the right "pull."

OK, so you have to buy a dozen... most are still under $10 US. 

Frank

Thanks @fbov but I bought a few return springs at Ottawa Fasteners yesterday, and the stock shape shown here does not work, but I may have bought ones that were too long. I got 3.5 inch, but I think I need a 2.5 incher. 

spring_.jpg.3b3efd62029717478bc2e8108c887bb2.jpg

The Egg spring shown below shows how on mine  one end  is stretched out, so it's hard to tell what length I need. 

3 hours ago, K-ville said:

The Egg spring shown below shows how on mine  one end  is stretched out, so it's hard to tell what length I need. 

Count the number of coils.

When limp, measure the length of 5 coils and divide by 5 to find coil pitch. (close to wire diameter)

Measure the distance from hook to top of first coil.

Spring length is 2x (hook distance) + (No. of coils) x (coil pitch).

Frank