My XL Egg restoration

K-ville

On 10/30/2017 at 5:56 PM, bluayeddvl said:

now just some springs, a nest, a firebox, a cap, some grates and you'll be done  ;-)

Actually, I now have the firebox and ring on their way to me from an Egg guy in Florida. All I had to pay was shipping to my US address. 

The Smokeware cap will be here Friday.

And my Son is driving to Barrie to pick up a brand new XL nest for me that was listed for quite cheap.

This came together very quickly thanks to  the power of social media, fellow gurus and eggheads.   

So for about $300, I should be cooking in no time. Not bad for an Egg that sells for over 3 grand in Canada.

Can't wait. 

40 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Will and DnC system from a Big Joe fit?

Might be an easy (if not cheap) way to get the bits you're missing

Not sure, but I think I'll just get cooking with a diffuser and grill for now and check into that DNC later.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@K-ville

The Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer system will fit in the XL Big Green Egg.  You just need the components from the Big Joe version of the system....

Thanks John. I may treat myself to that some day. Or better yet, Christmas is coming..."Um honey, you know the Egg I've been preparing delicious meals for you on? Well ..."

On 30/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, K-ville said:

@fbov I just heard back from McMaster Carr and they don't ship to Canada, plus they'll only ship to the address associated with a credit card, so I can't even use my US address. Thanks anyway.

Strange...I just order some replacement silicon o-rings for my espresso machine from McMaster-Carr right off their web site and they shipped (overnight even) directly to my Alberta address....

1 hour ago, SmallBBQr said:

Strange...I just order some replacement silicon o-rings for my espresso machine from McMaster-Carr right off their web site and they shipped (overnight even) directly to my Alberta address....

Strange. This was their reply to my query about shipping to Canada (some personal info removed):

McMaster-Carr <cle.sales@mcmaster.com>
Oct 30 

Hi Brian,

Due to the cost and complexity of shipping our products to Canada, we are only able to accept orders from businesses and schools. If this is not for personal use, please let us know your business or school name and we can provide a quotation.

Dana Norway
330-995-5893

7 hours ago, K-ville said:

Strange. This was their reply to my query about shipping to Canada (some personal info removed):

McMaster-Carr <cle.sales@mcmaster.com>
Oct 30 

Hi Brian,

Due to the cost and complexity of shipping our products to Canada, we are only able to accept orders from businesses and schools. If this is not for personal use, please let us know your business or school name and we can provide a quotation.

Dana Norway
330-995-5893

Makes sense (though I didn't do it on purpose).  I actually work for a school board, and when I ordered I had them deliver to the office, so the "Ship to:" address was my business address and business name.

Though...not really sure why it makes a difference to be honest.

My son picked up the XL nest, which was located just north of Toronto and being sold used. He delivered it to me and all it cost me was a 100 bucks for the nest and lunch for him at Wendy's...pretty good deal I'd say. 

I don't have the XL in the stand yet, but she'll be in there soon.

20171106_182412[1].jpg