• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
nguye569

Are you monitoring Air or Water temperature

I'm currently modding a wine fridge to get to the temperature needed to dry age. I wanted to ask if you guys are measuring the air temperature or water temperature? I currently have a hydrogmeter in the fridge to measure the air temperature, but I get readings anywhere from 32 - 46 in a given 24 hour period. Should I be more concerned with the temperature of a glass of water in the fridge rather than the air temperature?

21 hours ago, nguye569 said:

I'm currently modding a wine fridge to get to the temperature needed to dry age. I wanted to ask if you guys are measuring the air temperature or water temperature? I currently have a hydrogmeter in the fridge to measure the air temperature, but I get readings anywhere from 32 - 46 in a given 24 hour period. Should I be more concerned with the temperature of a glass of water in the fridge rather than the air temperature?

Air temp is fine.  I use a sensorpush that gives me temp and humidity with graphing.  I also have their Wifi gateway, so I can see all sensors and receive alerts when they go out of my settings.  You're fridge should really never go ahead 40-41 degrees, when set at 34-35.  There is a swing, but my fridge swing is 31-35.  Very rarely on a defrost cycle will it push closer to 40.   I have to be honest with you, wine fridges are not the best for dry aging.  Unless your wine fridge is an expensive one, none are fan driven cooled.  This leaves huge areas of temperature uneveness throughout the cabinet.  Lower will be colder than the top etc.  If you really want to do this, I suggest a fan driven fridge to get safe and predictable results.  

I dry age in a normal size fridge with a fan, UV light, and am able to get super consistent results.  The fridge is fan driven since it is full size and then i have a desktop fan constantly moving air inside the fridge cavity with a UV purifier for added safety and odor.

I got a desktop fan in there and just ordered an inkbird temperature controller so I can control the temperature swings a bit more. I plan to have the inkbird's temperature probe closer to the meat so I can make sure the air by it is withing range and will set my other thermometer at a different level to make sure i'm getting enough circulation with the fan.

Hopefully this helps stabilize the temperatures, if not i'll switch over to my chest freezer and control it with the inkbird.