Cook finishing early - how long can it survive in the cooler?

zero

Hey gurus, I have a mild problem to solve here.  I'm cooking for a group of friends tonight, and my pork butts finished WAY too early!  I put it on about 10:30 last night, and by 7:30 this morning it's already over 200F.  So I need to pull it in the next few minutes, but my party isn't till 7:00 this evening.  I put the temp probe towards the back of the the grill to make space for the little piggies, and it was reading about 320F when I went to bed, but the dome thermometer was pegged at 250, so I thought the temp probe was in a hotter spot, not being over the water pan.  Looks like I did have it a bit hotter than usual (but on the flipside, I finally didn't run out of charcoal for a change :-D)!  From what I've read, it sounds like I may not be able to keep it hot (safely) till then (double-wrap foil, lots of towels, and then into a newer Coleman cooler).  They are two 8-lb butts, though.  With two cuts, they hold longer, right?  Am I probably stuck reheating them in the oven tonight?  I've held pork in this cooler for 4 hours before, and it was still very hot to the touch when it came out, so I'm thinking I may be able to make it.  I know pork butt's nothing new, but here's a picture to start your day off right:

image1.JPG

Any thoughts, helps, hints appreciated.

If you double wrapped in foil and sealed it up real good, they will last all day in the cooler and still be warm at dinner time. Be sure to wrap in 2 or 3 towels after the foil and preheat the cooler with hot water. Dump out the water, the coolers will be warm and then load them up and close the lid tight! 

I rarely serve pulled pork the day it's pulled. Keeps really well in the freezer, thaws nicely, and a crock pot and a little foil liquor are a great way to heat and serve, regardless the time since cooking. It's really hard to screw up!

Frank

Cool, thanks guys.  Pulled it out of the cooler at 3:30 to check the temp and it was at 145F.  I turned my oven on to 270 and threw it in there for an hour before sticking it back in the cooler.  The event's outside, and not exactly linear.  It's a Halloween bike ride (what we dubbed "Masqueride"), and once the course is finished I'm gonna shred it and serve it.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, zero said:

Cool, thanks guys.  Pulled it out of the cooler at 3:30 to check the temp and it was at 145F.  I turned my oven on to 270 and threw it in there for an hour before sticking it back in the cooler.  The event's outside, and not exactly linear.  It's a Halloween bike ride (what we dubbed "Masqueride"), and once the course is finished I'm gonna shred it and serve it.  Thanks again!

Great stuff man! Stay upright! 

868343.jpg

On 10/28/2017 at 5:45 PM, Beermachine said:

Great stuff man! Stay upright! 

868343.jpg

Haha, thanks.  Not that kind of ride (fun though that looks), this kind:

WillAndCo.thumb.jpg.45939ee28c3f9343389e4565c7eac4fd.jpg

And here's me this year's costume contest winner.  Her husband is a VERY talented engineer, and the wings you see on the back are actually pneumatically actuated to open and close.  So it not only looks steampunk, it almost is steampunk. :)

CostumeWinner.thumb.jpg.bde492c6da79f1684fbeee58d6d8dd5f.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the pork itself!  I threw it in the oven at about 4:00 at 270F for an hour, and then back into the cooler to wait until the ride finished and I shredded and served it on site.  It wasn't my finest cook (last hour in the oven may have dried it out a little too much), but everyone seemed to enjoy it, and there were very few leftovers.  I was surprised to have any, expecting 16 pounds uncooked would only feed about 25 people, not the 30+ we had show up.  Either way, glad not to have too much left, because between the musical theatre group I perform with and cooked for and now the cycling club, I've been eating pulled pork for at least 2 week, and am well-ready for some brisket, or even a simple hamburger off my Joe!