Matambre De Cerdo

Ok, so I was going to do Lomo Saltado for my challenge cook.  Weather wasn't playing nice and I wasn't feeling super adventurous - so I ended up doing that inside this past weekend.  It was pretty good, but was disappointed I didn't get my challenge cook knocked out.  Been a long haul at work lately... especially the past couple of days.  Checked with someone who I used to work with, but now lives in Ecuador when I was winding down for the day tonight.  Asked if he had any ideas for me for something easy and fast that I could knock out this evening.  Many recipes I found had multiple ingreadients and steps and I just wasn't up to it....

He shared with me an interesting link - which was good since I wasn't following him so well with what he was saying... something about impregnating something... lol.

Matambre De Cerdo - Pork Flank Steak - very simply prepared with salt and lemon juice.  I gathered from what he was saying that I needed to marinate (impregnate) the meat and let the lemon juice "cook" it a bit.  I couldn't find pork flank steak, so I ended up butterflying a pork loin.... not the same - I know.... but I tried.

So here we go....

After prepping the pork (trim, butterly and a little lemon juice treatment):

IMG_7557.thumb.JPG.3dd0bf59a365dce11d50d503d0438434.JPG

Crosshatched and starting to "cook" a bit:

IMG_7558.thumb.JPG.bfef9ff13c95c0422b3e7f4e71284410.JPG

Junior fired up out the back garage door -  pretty breezy out:

IMG_7562.thumb.JPG.5a7151f1386f13014eaee5ddc4002246.JPG

And we're on:

IMG_7563.thumb.JPG.e353123fdcb272bb2328851ac856b1e3.JPG

Marked and flipped:

IMG_7568.thumb.JPG.23e1f9c63d3bee39f29ff2593cd98786.JPG

Turned once more:

IMG_7571.thumb.JPG.ffa321defab52edc2d61490e7dd1a70f.JPG

And sliced up:

IMG_7574.thumb.JPG.cfe2c40625e20076b5ab4dc853737b35.JPG

Plated with a kale salad:

IMG_7581.thumb.JPG.16a8f90f97297e4544c962523f2d8df8.JPG

The crispy bits were to die for.  It was spectacular!  A pretty good ending to a rough month.  

IMG_7575.JPG

9 hours ago, Billy Grills said:

That looks delicious!!

A simple but hearty, tasty meal.

It's on my list to try :)

Thanks!  

I would definitely go with a pork flank if you can find one.  I'm sure that would have been even better....   I probably wouldn't have crosshatched so deep as well if I had the flank, but my butterflied loin ended up a bit thicker than expected...

41 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Pork flank steak = pork belly, right?

Not sure. The picture he had looked just like a beef flank steak but it was pork. Maybe that’s what a belly looks like when you trim the fat?  In any case, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the store labeled as a pork flank steak. 

7 hours ago, Mironccr345 said:

Man that looks good. What kind of grill grate are you using on that Akorn Jr? 

I ordered the grate from Michael's Custom Grill Works.  I just e-mailed him to get the ball rolling.  I went with the 1/4" spacing and I'm not sure if I had an option on the diameter of the material as well or not - but I feel like I did and went with the heavier one.  Also, I asked him for the J Hook and I'm extremely glad I did because that makes it way easier to maneuver.  It wasn't cheap, but it is super heavy and extremely nice and I don't have to worry about burning the seasoning off the cast iron...