• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
SmallBBQr

UUNI Pro Burn-In and First Pizza

Super-Easy to setup.  Seems to "burn" as advertised.  Coasted at 700 degrees on charcoal for my initial burn-in, then did some pizza (2 day cold ferment using the dough recipe on the Uuni site). 

At home next to the Keg!

deck.thumb.jpg.25ab95e800e8afcae08341d99c6f664c.jpg

Burning In....stones will likely never be this clean every again!

burn-in.thumb.jpg.fbd1a7018a8a669496994a685adff029.jpg

First pizza.  Ended up being -15 degrees C out when I cooked so the stones probably could have used a longer heat soak (underneath did not have nice spotting), but happy for a first go!  Really have to stay on top of things...this was around a 90 second pizza.uunipizza.thumb.jpg.2c4fd9d7b58134d141c0d8d0e628af87.jpg

That's what is cool about the PRO, it is an easier to use oven than the previous Uuni's, since you don't have to fuss with pellets.  The charcoal allows a fairly high base temp that stays for quite a while and then you can add wood for the extra boost.  Couple this with better insulation and the oven performs temperature wise very consistently.  The learning curve is much less steep than with the smaller Uunis.

I bet with the gas burner, it will be almost dummy proof.

2 hours ago, Benm3 said:

That's what is cool about the PRO, it is an easier to use oven than the previous Uuni's, since you don't have to fuss with pellets.  The charcoal allows a fairly high base temp that stays for quite a while and then you can add wood for the extra boost.  Couple this with better insulation and the oven performs temperature wise very consistently.  The learning curve is much less steep than with the smaller Uunis.

I bet with the gas burner, it will be almost dummy proof.

I'm really hoping someone figures out how to get a steady 400* charcoal temp. That would allow you to do other dishes. Baked Italian dishes, fish etc..... 

18 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'm really hoping someone figures out how to get a steady 400* charcoal temp. That would allow you to do other dishes. Baked Italian dishes, fish etc..... 

I have..... you have to change the chimney and ceiling wheel to modulate the airflow.  With the gas burner though it will be a no brainer as you can modulate the gas, low, medium, and high.

I've done at this point over 50+ pizzas on it and it excels at it.  I blame the oven for making me even go out and get a GI Azzura pizza peel to reduce the amount of flour that was getting into the oven.  At the high temps, excess flour burns so fast and will actually catch fire.  The peel is very cool with the laser cutouts so excess flour falls out and you also need very little flour due to the reduced drag.  

On 11/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, SmallBBQr said:

Super-Easy to setup.  Seems to "burn" as advertised.  Coasted at 700 degrees on charcoal for my initial burn-in, then did some pizza (2 day cold ferment using the dough recipe on the Uuni site). 

At home next to the Keg!

deck.thumb.jpg.25ab95e800e8afcae08341d99c6f664c.jpg

Burning In....stones will likely never be this clean every again!

burn-in.thumb.jpg.fbd1a7018a8a669496994a685adff029.jpg

First pizza.  Ended up being -15 degrees C out when I cooked so the stones probably could have used a longer heat soak (underneath did not have nice spotting), but happy for a first go!  Really have to stay on top of things...this was around a 90 second pizza.uunipizza.thumb.jpg.2c4fd9d7b58134d141c0d8d0e628af87.jpg

that’s an awesome pie 

3 hours ago, HeavyG said:

Very nice. For a proper Neapolitan pizza you want it to be cooked using wood and done in about 90 seconds or less so you are right on track.

would there be ham on a proper neo?

Yes.  Been a cold, snowy week here.  Normally, around this time of year, daytime temps get up to about the freezing mark, and lows at night are around -7 to -10  (that's Celcius).

This week has been about 5-10 degrees colder than normal.  And yes...snow.

A little cold and snow slows us down, but doesn't stop the BBQ!!

5 hours ago, Freddyj said:

would there be ham on a proper neo?

Note that I didn't say you made a real Neapolitan pizza just that you are on track (wood fire and time/temp). :)

On 11/5/2017 at 1:43 PM, ckreef said:

After failing with a quick bread because of uncontrollable temps, I'm taking a page out of the KJ book and will fabricate a cover over the intake so I can control airflow better. This should solve the issue. The Uuni Pro has an air intake so massive it's worthy of a Mad Max sequel.

Did you try reducing the ceiling vent down to a lower level, or even shutting it completely...there are two side vents that will still draw air up the chimney even with the ceiling vent completely cut off, but it certainly drops temps....it's supposed to be nice here this weekend so going to do a bit of experimenting.

Another trick I found that helps in below freezing temps is to pre-heat heat stones in my indoor oven.  I get a good pile of charcoal going to get the steady base temp, then put in the hot stones, then starting adding chunks of oak hardwood to get it up to pizza temps (which works FAST!).  I think I have a smooth, easy process down now for "winter" cooking.

I tried both limiting airflow with the ceiling vent and closing it entirely. Neither method helped control the volcano in the back. Neither am I enthusiastic about moving around stones that are several hundred degrees. I've also decided that just because I CAN doesn't mean there aren't better tools in my baking bag, like the Kamado Joe right next to it. I've got a lot of other projects (not just cooking/baking) on my plate right now, so I have decided to work on my Jedi skills with the Kamado Joe, reserving the Uuni for pizza and high-temp applications, getting more familiar with the Instant Pot, and bread baking.

Good, good. Let the charcoal flow through you....