• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Chasdev

Gourmet pellet choices?

I've been surfing the interwebs for the BEST best smoke flavor pellets and found a lot of choices, so who likes which pellets?

My search started out looking for oak pellets that would come closest to post oak for brisket cooks but I'm also interested in best smoke profiles/brands for pork ribs, pork butt, yardbird and turkey.

Other than mesquite, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between smoke profiles of other pellets.   Unless you have such sensitive taste buds that you should be getting paid huge sums of money to taste test for large conglomerates and insure said taste buds for millions of dollars.  default_rolling.gif.59fffd9667bddef64a6d793b734664ae.gif

I too have no use for mesquite wood, but I've already got some B+B oak, I think I'm going to order a sample of  "DiamondKingSmoker" post oak pellets and do a comparison.

I would surely love to get stickburner flavor from my pelletspitter..

Many brands of pellets are made from a blend of woods so that, for instance, their "oak" flavor may only be 50% actual oak and the rest some different species such as alder or maple. There are some that claim to make some of their pellets from 100% of the flavor wood they specify. Some pellets also have "flavor oils" added.

I don't have enough experience with all the various brands to say which one is clearly "best" as I don't own a pellet pooper but have eaten food cooked by friends that use them and I know they have tried a variety of brands/flavors. I'm inclined to agree with @BURGER MEISTER that unless you are one of those with a "super palate" you likely won't discern much difference between most brands/flavors.

At least not in a blind taste test. :)

Diamond king claims no fillers no additives no nothing other than real post oak.

I've got a sample on the way, will post up if the smoke is like real post oak stick smoke, or not...

On the west side, filler wood is generally alder.   On the east side, filler wood is generally oak.  Hard pressed to find 100% flavor wood on the west side.   Last time I got in on a bulk purchase of Lumberjack pellets, I got a 1/4 ton of eastern pellets of various flavors and I can't tell the difference between flavors of fruitwood.   I do notice that I got more ash than when I burn local pellets, but I got 1 heck of a buy on them so couldn't pass them up.   When they're gone, I'll stick to local pellets unless I get in on another bulk purchase.   Since getting my KJ's my pellet consumption has gone down drastically and lump consumption has increased exponentially.

best smoke profiles is BBQers delight.  They are the closest to true flavour.  Most pellets are mixed with oak being a base in almost all pellets.  Some pellets get flavoured, others are a mix of woods.  The issues I have found with BBQers delight is that they smell great and smoke well but they struggle to hit higher temps as they are missing the blend of a hard wood like oak.  

Best pellets that I have ever used is the Traeger Gourmet blend offered through costco.  It was a blend of Maple, hickory and cherry.  It is a lights out combination.  

I was not a fan of lumber jack pellets for the price point locally.  

I was never a big hickory fan but really enjoy the Traeger hickory

On 2017-11-08 at 5:36 PM, bosco said:

best smoke profiles is BBQers delight.  They are the closest to true flavour.  Most pellets are mixed with oak being a base in almost all pellets.  Some pellets get flavoured, others are a mix of woods.  The issues I have found with BBQers delight is that they smell great and smoke well but they struggle to hit higher temps as they are missing the blend of a hard wood like oak.  

Best pellets that I have ever used is the Traeger Gourmet blend offered through costco.  It was a blend of Maple, hickory and cherry.  It is a lights out combination.  

I was not a fan of lumber jack pellets for the price point locally.  

I was never a big hickory fan but really enjoy the Traeger hickory

Unfortunately that’s why most companies add oak even when it compromises the smoke flavour.  They’re more concerned with the BTU’s than with smoke flavour.

Have you tried to cooking pellets from Amazon?  They get rave reviews.

B&B and Bbqr’s Delight are the same pellets.  I have had great results with all varieties of those.  I can get my yoder over 550° no problem with those or traeger pellets.  I like the price point if b&b at $15/20lbs and $12/20lbs when walmart has them.  

I have another bag of bbqers delight in the garage that I should try out.  Haven’t used them in the timberline yet just the old pro 34.  I will try them and post my results