• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
mike echo

Bicyclists with a Wide Toebox

I have changed my pedals out to clipless. A first after 50+ years of riding. Needed to up my cardio work have a better upper body routine.

I chose the Crank Bros Mallet 3 pedals and some Lake brand "wide" 2 bolt, shoes.

My deal was I wanted the same comfort I enjoy with my flat bottom tennis shoes in my bike shoes.

Anyone who is is the LBS business or a long time road rider/racer may not entirely agree with my rant below.

IMO, bicycle clothing sizing bike manufacturers use. I.e. a med. mens T-shirt is like an everyday 2XL in the bicycle world. Shoe sizing is wacked too. If you are anything but a C width size 10, be careful. I have always been one to try a shoe on, and feel the fit. That was not possible to me, so I had to go to online sources.

Remember as you work out,  your foot will expand from exertion so keep that in mind for sizing. I found this out the hard way with blood under a toe and huge discomfort on both feet, after the ride due to the seemingly correct width being too narrow, the seemingly correct length (shoe size) too short.

Breaking in shoes is not really a thing, unless it's leather, as most are made from synthetics that really don't break in. So if it does not feel right, return it, or don't buy.

Lake Cycling has a super sizing chart. I measured my feet as directed in metrics. This was precise and negated the conversion between European sizing, UK sizing and manufacturers not be standardized. I.e. Shimano runs small and that is a known fact even though their charts say otherwise. Ended up with wide, size 50. In my terms in street shoes, 12.5 D. Shimano would call that a size 14, extra super wide, carnival show high arches. Not!

Not all manufacturers use the term wide, They use Mega, high volume etc.etc.  

So anyway,  because of return policies, and sometimes pricing, try Nashbar.com or REI. I have used both and they are real good sellers. Nashbar has a forever guarantee and REI 365 days. Returns to either are painless. Nashbar is online only. LBS are not into REI.  One LBS guy told me if he special ordered a shoe for me, it was an all sales are final deal. Won't go there again. He never even measured my feet. Goofy. Not a good LBS.

M.