• Similar Content

• By Edward Cook
      I've been seeing your posts about pork belly and wondering what the big deal was ... well, now I know!

I headed over to Costco and got one ... seasoned it up with my homemade rub.

After about 4 hours of hickory smoke at 225 - 250 F, I pulled it off the Kamado Joe, rested it and cooled it.

A few hours later when my better half made it home (I'm "working from home" for a few months) ... I sliced it and we heated the slices up on the griddle, and made some fried rice and "stir-fried" green beans with onions, almonds and mushrooms ...

The final product was fantastic ... at least the family thought so ... and that's some spicy Korean BBQ sauce drizzled on the pork belly.

Good times in Texas! 
    • By TheGHole
      Hey everyone!

Made these gorgeous pork belly tacos tonight and would love to share how I did them.  I was going for some Mexican and Asian flavors, and couldn't have been happier with the result.  The only issue at all was a light spot on the pork due to liquid pooling there during the cook because the belly was a bit big for my standard Joe and I had to scrunch it a little.

PORK BELLY
      1.  I brined it for about 14 hours in a mix of pineapple juice, teriyaki, and soy sauce after scoring the fat sight relatively deeply
      2.  Dried the belly and rubbed it with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on all sides
      3.  Smoked on Kamado Joe at 240 with some cherry wood to add a light fruity smoke favor (no wrapping because I wanted some meaty bite in the taco)
      4.  When I had internals around 185, I glazed the belly and cooked for another 20ish minutes
      5.  Broiled the belly inside for 2 minutes to tighten up the glaze and crisp the fat even more
      6.  Rested the meat for about 40 minutes (should have gone longer but people were too hungry :D )

GLAZE
      1.  Mix together raw honey, soy sauce, salt, worcestershire sauce, peach preservers (wanted pineapple to go with the brine but couldn't find it), apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, hot bone sucking bbq sauce, and some secret super hot scotch bonnet hot sauce I bought in Anguilla.  All of this is unmeasured and I mixed to taste.
      2.  Simmer on the stove until the mixture reduces a bit and thickens up, allow to cool off the heat

TOPPINGS
      1.  Home made guacamole (avocado, lots of lime, onion, kosher salt, pepper, cilantro)
      2.  Home made Chipotle Crema (sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, adobo sauce, kosher salt)
      3.  Grilled pineapple on the same grates I cooked the pork on
      4.  Cojita Cheese
      5.  Cilantro
      6.  Home made pickled onions (red onion, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, sugar, water)

Please enjoy the pictures, and as usual, ask any questions!

• By Nnank76
      So it's family Christmas at my brothers this year which means interstate for two families.  I asked my brother what we could bring to help contribute and i was told nothing.  It's all sorted.  But i just couldn't turn up empty handed.  

I think I'm taking the perfect thing.... home made bacon!

Picked up a pork belly, wet brined for 4 days in a solution of salt pepper, molasses, sugar and water. 

Hot smoked on the KJ for approx 2hrs (150f internal temp).

Should feed the whole family breakfast for the time we're there :-)

• By pesto3
      Had and idea for a different take on pork belly burned ends on the weekend. 

Spun the belly on my KJ Jr Rotisserie 

Once I had my crackle I removed the belly and reconfigured my jr. separated the crackle from the belly, set crackle aside and dice the belly into cubes. Put the belly into a pan with some gingerbeer and apple juice and put it back on the Jr, indirect covered in foil. 

chooped the crackle into a rustic crumb and added some garlic chives. 

Very happy with the result. My idea for the next one is the same process but with Asian flavours. 

Thanks for looking!
    • By DerHusker
      The Guru Moderators Challenged me to create a “Weave Your Way Through May”. I thought long and hard at what I could create.

Create something delicious by weaving ingredients together? At first, I thought

I kept thinking and then came to the “point” where an idea “stuck” with me.

If I had the correct ingredients

then

I studied up on my past cooks and if you will

I’ll provide you with a little educational reading and show you

I assembled most of my ingredients

Greased up my CI pie pan with some Crisco.

Did my crust weave in it

but it looked a bit

(Not my best work. I should’ve done this on the glass pie dish like last time but since the crust won’t show this was no biggy)
      Now I placed the glass dish in the CI dish to try to control shrinkage and keep its shape.

Now place it upside down on the kamado to let the bacon grease drain. I let it cook this way for 30 minutes.

While that was cooking I whipped up the egg, milk, sour cream and Bisquick

Once the bacon crust was cooled I placed in a layer of thinly sliced potato.

Now some slivered onion

and then the Hatch Chiles.

Now I added half the egg mixture and 1 cup of cheese.

I repeated this process and placed it on the kamado for 50 minutes at 300 degrees.

Here it is after 50 minutes.

I thought we could clink our glasses in a toast but alas it still wasn’t alive like I wanted

so I threw a little temper tantrum.

It needed one last ingredient

So I added a bacon weave on top of mostly already cooked bacon and cooked it an extra 10 minutes. (Didn’t want to deal with the shrinkage or the extra grease)

and in a last desperate attempt, I yelled out

Here it is after the additional 10 minutes.

IT’S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!

Close-up with flash.

Without flash.

Today I cut a slice and heated it up for breakfast.

It was so delicious it had me dancing!

THE END!