Turkey test run

shuley

I've done a couple spatchcocked turkeys on the kamado and I always seem to remember them finishing earlier than I expected. Some folks from work are doing a friendsgiving and I volunteered to do the turkey. I want to do a test run on Friday with a rotisserie at between 350-400(I'd go with 400 for a chicken, but I'm thinking since a turkey will take longer to cook maybe I should shoot more for 350 so the outer meat doesn't get dried up) for a 16 lb bird. How long should I expect this to take?  Of course I know it's an approximation, but I've never done one this way at all

6 hours ago, Woodman said:

Last year my 15 pound turkey on the Joetisserie took 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Internal temp was 180 in the breast. I couldn’t believe it was done so fast. I would check your internal temp after an hour and a half or so to see where you are. 

That is insanely fast

Last year I did a 16 lb bird with an Emeril 24 hour brine, an overnight air dry in the fridge per The Best Recipe and then used Meathead's Ultimate Smoked Turkey recipe as a guide.  Smoked with pecan wood at 325 and it was under 2 hours to hit 165.  A bit quicker than I expected.

at

On 11/10/2017 at 10:44 PM, KismetKamado said:

So how did it turn out - other than just the report on the timing?

I’ll be doing the turkey again this year—which means it was AWESOME!!!  My personal goal this year is to learn to carve a turkey and give a better presentation rather than just shred the meat off the bone. 

On 11/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, KismetKamado said:

So how did it turn out - other than just the report on the timing?

Well my rotisserie motor broke during cooking so part of the skin got burnt. Despite that it turned out incredibly well. I injected the breast with about two sticks of flavored butter to try to retain moisture and it worked super well. I highly recommend that method. I also took no pictures. I bought a heavier duty motor that I am hoping arrives before Saturday (friendsgiving day)

5 minutes ago, shuley said:

Well my rotisserie motor broke during cooking so part of the skin got burnt. Despite that it turned out incredibly well. I injected the breast with about two sticks of flavored butter to try to retain moisture and it worked super well. I highly recommend that method. I also took no pictures. I bought a heavier duty motor that I am hoping arrives before Saturday (friendsgiving day)

Hope it gets there in time - sounds like it's going to be fantastic!

I did a test run on a 12lb Spatchcocked turkey. It was a quick defrost and injection job, but turned out great.  I was quite surprised it finished in under 2 hours.  Today I am going to purchase my Thanksgiving bird, looking for 20lb-ish one.  I intend to brine it and spatchcock this one as well.  One thing I am pondering is putting a shelf in and maybe cooking the ham over the turkey.  Seems like some dripping pork fat on the bird couldn't do any harm, and cooking time for the two should be roughly the same.

29 minutes ago, cwhuling said:

I did a test run on a 12lb Spatchcocked turkey. It was a quick defrost and injection job, but turned out great.  I was quite surprised it finished in under 2 hours.  Today I am going to purchase my Thanksgiving bird, looking for 20lb-ish one.  I intend to brine it and spatchcock this one as well.  One thing I am pondering is putting a shelf in and maybe cooking the ham over the turkey.  Seems like some dripping pork fat on the bird couldn't do any harm, and cooking time for the two should be roughly the same.

I've not done exactly what you have described but I have cooked often using both racks on my Keg.  The ham will block the majority of convection cooking from the dome of your Kamado.  The fat will also contain salt & nitrate from the cure dripping on your turkey...just pointing that out.  I can tell you your turkey results will be different from the normal spatchcock method.

Edited by K'man