• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Charcoal Addict

Kontrol Towers Finally Arrive

We’ll the Kontrol Towers for both Big Joes are finally here.  I ordered them way back on August 3rd.  They made it in time for Christmas.  They’re pretty much what I expected.  There’s a couple of minor paint chips on the inside I’ll touch up with some high heat BBQ paint.  A paint chip or two is not going to stop me from using them. 

I’ll probably need a couple of wraps of new felt on both chimneys to ensure a tight fit.  They both replace the 2 stainless Smokeware vents that have taken up residence on the Big Joes over the past 3 years.  

The new vents will get their first test with a pulled pork cook tonight.  

Probably the biggest surprise was the boxes.  I was expecting they would come in a pretty red box with graphics and the typical KJ marketing blurb.   Instead they both were package in a very discreetly plain brown cardboard box.    

Not it that the packaging really matters.  I’ve just gotten too used to KJ products coming in bright red KJ packages.

78B087E6-6820-404C-8C88-8B8895932898.jpeg

194DA1EA-BCA0-471B-B79A-F5595E167C67.jpeg

22 minutes ago, prowe said:

I think they read your last post and hoped to sneak em cross the boarder.

That was probably never the issue.  It’s likely a combination of high demand for the vents and  warranty claims to replace damaged vents caused the long delay.  Canada has always been 2-months behind on the US for getting KJ accessories. 

The other issue is largely FedEx’s fault.  They should have requested the appropriate customs paperwork from KJ before accepting the shipment. 

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Lucky you

I filed a warranty claim for my vent back in September and I was told Australia wouldn't be getting replacement Towers til Jan 2018

We’ll.  I’ll be happier camper when I can get my Jostiserie rings released from Canadian customs.  Who knows, there might a couple FedEx customs agents out in Saskatchewan enjoying some tender rotisserie turkey as we speak. :-D

I’m getting the Red Big Joe up to temp for some pulled pork.  The black vents take some getting used to in the dark.  It was easy to see the vent settings on the Stainless Smokeware vents caps.  I had to use my flashlight on my phone to check the top vent setting in the dark to see a small opening with a black vent. 

DD41F833-A719-4065-A2CC-687F7B5E8391.jpeg

FEBB6887-0869-4D7B-A1EC-51DED5659167.jpeg

We’re 13 hours into a pulled pork low and slow with the new vents.  There is a little bit of grease running down the dome from the Kontrol Tower.  Nothing you can’t wipe off in a few seconds.

The design could have been improve by making the top with a slight cone shape rather than being so flat.  The would have changed the air circulation slight so the  grease vapour would’ve dripped down from the centre of the chimney cap rather than the edge of the cap.  

The cone one shape of the Smokeware vents are the reason why they are less prone to dripping grease down the dome vs. KJ’s design.

1997D44B-44A3-4883-BCD0-B56AE89A532B.jpeg

449E8473-17FB-4FDC-BD08-4F04473C1FF9.jpeg

640FFF97-8C8D-41C1-9D51-98E892A05900.jpeg

9D2BD708-7569-4393-AA6A-15D0572EB5DF.jpeg

I'm glad you got your new vents...without any political interference. I do have a question if you don't mind. I have an old school Big Joe with the old school vent and a 2017 classic II.  so, ya know, I have both vents. I have not really been interested in getting a new vent for the Big Joe. The only reason I can think of to upgrade that would be severe rain. I'm curious why you chose to upgrade, do you have lots of precipitation or am I just not giving this vent it's due?  I love it, but I still love the old one so I'm curious. Thx.

I don't want to sound negative, I prefer the new vent for bad storm situations. Just wondering if there is another advantage. It is a great innovation.

33 minutes ago, prowe said:

I'm glad you got your new vents...without any political interference. I do have a question if you don't mind. I have an old school Big Joe with the old school vent and a 2017 classic II.  so, ya know, I have both vents. I have not really been interested in getting a new vent for the Big Joe. The only reason I can think of to upgrade that would be severe rain. I'm curious why you chose to upgrade, do you have lots of precipitation or am I just not giving this vent it's due?  I love it, but I still love the old one so I'm curious. Thx.

I wouldn’t call it political.  It’s just dumb greed on both sides.  12 -16 months ago, these problems didn’t exist and it was less of hassle trying to get a part into Canada.  It wasn’t this complicated before.  Now it’s just a nightmare of endless bureaucracy.

If you had a waste entire 12 days of your life fighting with customs to get a simple part you need for your Joe across the border you’d probably be upset too.  

6 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I wouldn’t call it political.  It’s just dumb greed on both sides.  12 -16 months ago, these problems didn’t exist and it was less of hassle trying to get a part into Canada.  It wasn’t this complicated before.  Now it’s just a nightmare of endless bureaucracy.

If you had a waste entire 12 days of your life fighting with customs to get a simple part you need for your Joe across the border you’d probably be upset too.  

Probably true...though I must say, I don't care much about customs at the boarder. I was hoping you may shed light on the old vs new top vent. I feel for ya brotha, ....just curious bout the vents, not the boarders.

15 minutes ago, prowe said:

Probably true...though I must say, I don't care much about customs at the boarder. I was hoping you may shed light on the old vs new top vent. I feel for ya brotha, ....just curious bout the vents, not the boarders.

My apologies.  It’s a sore point.  I’m not upset with anyone here.  It will be over soon.  It’s most likely I’ll have to stick with ordering KJ service parts from Ontario and BC warehouses going forward.  It’s a lesson learned. 

I’ll take more cooks to compare the KJ Kontrol Towers with the Smokeware vents I’ve been using for the past three years.  

Here’s pic from tonight’s first Kontrol Tower cook the pulled pork just came off the Joe’s a few minutes ago.   It held temps as well as the smoke wear vents and it wasn’t too hard to figure out the adjustment.

The frost didn’t make it easy to change the gasket tape today.  They vents are loose so I have been a little more careful slowly opening the dome. 

The vent is actually the same diameter as the older KJ vents.  The Kontrol towel sits 1/4 inch higher on the top of he chimeny causing it to fit more losely than the older KJ vent that sat further down the chimney.  

35F55D5F-4CDA-4810-AB4A-04138914C2AC.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

My apologies.  It’s a sore point.  I’m not upset with anyone here.  

T

Buddy, I dig it.  As I said... id be irate. Just asking bout the diff between the 2 vents.  

I do do believe that you should start a thread int he cooler about these customs issues.  Most of us would be unaware.  It is a valid point to make public. Just in the right venue. It seems to be a problem from what I gather. 

I wish you you all the  good fortune in the future!

On 2017-11-11 at 6:05 PM, prowe said:

Thanks buddy.

Hopefully I’ll be able to add a second layer of tape to chimney’s on both Big Joe’s.  I’m waiting for a warmer winter day to do it.  This year’s been oddly cold to start.  Usually we’re a couple of degrees above freezing during the day.  

The temp has been bouncing from 23 F to 2 F for the past two weeks.  It’s been too cold to add the gasket tape.  It wouldn’t stick very well.  I need a better seal on the Kontrol Towers.