• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
DWFII

Kong

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this grill? I have read so many times ...not necessarily about the Kong...of new kamados not being able to operate at  low and slow temps (240°ish). Anyone had this problem on a Kong?

In general, what is the remedy? Less charcoal or only trying to better seal the grill (something that it seems to me should have been done properly at the factory)?

I don't think less charcoal is a remedy for a Kamado - you're going to want to be able to fill your firebox and manage your fire by controlling airflow with your vents.  If there are significant leaks, then sealing the grill would be the remedy. However, there are a number of people who have cooked with obvious leaks (such as no gaskets) for extended periods of time with no real issues.... 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:26 PM, KismetKamado said:

I don't think less charcoal is a remedy for a Kamado - you're going to want to be able to fill your firebox and manage your fire by controlling airflow with your vents.  If there are significant leaks, then sealing the grill would be the remedy. However, there are a number of people who have cooked with obvious leaks (such as no gaskets) for extended periods of time with no real issues.... 

Yup, Kismet, hit the nail on the head. Temp is regulated by the amount of air you feed the fire, not the amoungt of lump in your fire box. A very small fire in the middle of a full load of lump will burn at the temps you desire for a long time. Conversely, a big fire in a small pile of lump will burn hot for a short amount of time. Your vents are the key to controling the amount of air you feed the fire. Think about it, low and slow cooks generaly run for several hours so you will need ample fuel to keep even a small fire going for something like a butt or a brisket.  I am not familiar with a Kong, so I checked it out on the net. Your Kong grill  uses Auplex ceramic components, like Vision, Pit Boss, and a host of other new kamado companies. Auplex component grills are generally very capable grills. I cooked on a Vision when I was learning to cook on a kamado. I am pretty confident with a little trial and error you will be able to hold temp on your Kong pretty well. I used to fill my Vision with lump way up past the air holes just below where the deflector hangs. With a smal fire lit with one starter cube, or an alcohol soaked cottom ball set in the middle of your lump you will get a nice small manageable fire   If you set your vents to a sliver on both the top and bottom and let it sit. Probably take 45 mins to an hour to see the nice blue smoke and have your grill settle in at a temp. Remember, it is much easier to raise temp than to bring it down.  Shut you vents way down and give your fire time to establish itself. Relax and chill, have a beer, listen to the birds chrip Enjoy the Zen of kamado cooking. .  If you rush it,  light to much lump, or feed the fire to much air, it is easy to overshoot your target temp. Happy Cooking. and Have Fun.