• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Charcoal Addict

Router table to fix Kamado Table

There’s definitely some design aspects I would like to improve on my Kamado tables.  I have this vision of a table with stunning cabinet doors with beaded frames and LED light cabinet doors replacing the drawers in my tables for increased storage.  I also want to design a finished hard wood edge to replace the edge tile around my tables.

It requires a serious tool.  I’ve been buying Incra LS router table one piece at a time.  I  excited to see what I’ll be able to do to improve the design of my tables with a router table. 

F7A88787-F107-43AC-A36C-671C4B9DBEB6.jpeg

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I have the Incra system on my Jet Delux Xacta saw, with a built in router table.

Table saw mode.

Table4.jpg

Router mode.

Table2_zpsdf2c306c.jpg

I have the full wonder fence joinery system, it's just now shown in these pics.

Those are nice when you have a large table saw.  You’re luck to have the shop space.

2 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Very nice. I have the tabletop version of kreg’s product. 

I was planning to buy the Kreg table at first.  I discovered how is it was to make box joints and dovetails on the Incra LS, the extra cost suddenly wasn’t the issue.  

I wish Incra would pic better brand colors.  The red and gold is not my favorite color combo when trying to add a wood stained storage cabinet underneath.  It’s hard to pick a color or stain that doesn’t clash with Red and Gold. 

I already bought the lift and the Milwaukee 5625 3.5 HP router.  The table will

have to wait until after Christmas.  I doubt the family would take too kindly to me buying myself a $1100 router table for X-Mas while everyone else gets $25 dollar iTunes cards. 

Even if you’re on a tight budget for your table build.  Something like the Kreg Benchtop Router Table is something people can look at to spruce up the look of their outdoor table projects.

1C3E26B4-0564-4B04-86B8-30E8DAFD528A.jpeg

19 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Those are nice when you have a large table saw.  You’re luck to have the shop space.

I am actually very short on space, which is why I have the table built into the saw.  I have one bay of my garage set up as my shop area and all my machines are on mobile bases, so I can move them around, depending on which machine I need to use at the time.

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I am actually very short on space, which is why I have the table built into the saw.  I have one bay of my garage set up as my shop area and all my machines are on mobile bases, so I can move them around, depending on which machine I need to use at the time.

You always have to do what works best for your space.  We need to get rid of a junk to make more room for tools.  But that argument is easier said than done.

I have figure out which cabinet bit package I will want to use for the cabinet doors.  I’m leaning towards a shaker style design with a beaded edge. 

I need to plan out my edge profile for my tables to create a wooden edge to replace the tiled edge on the tables.  I want to be able to put on my pricey table covers without tearing them on sharp tile corners.

I'm a big fan of Sommerfeld Tools for Woodworking. http://sommerfeldtools.com/  I have several of his cabinet making router bit sets. You should watch some of his videos on cabinet making. He has a unique approach and creates some great looking cabinets. Check out the video of his cabinet makeover in his home, talk about jaw dropping!!.

2 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I'm a big fan of Sommerfeld Tools for Woodworking. http://sommerfeldtools.com/  I have several of his cabinet making router bit sets. You should watch some of his videos on cabinet making. He has a unique approach and creates some great looking cabinets. Check out the video of his cabinet makeover in his home, talk about jaw dropping!!.

I’m familiar with the Sommerfield videos.  I follow him on YouTube.   I also have Dan Pattison, the Wood Whisper and several other wood workers YouTube channels saved.  

I’ll have to practice making some doors in cheap fir and pine before making the actual doors in clear cedar.   Clear cedar keeps going-up every year.   It’s not the wood you want to experiment with.  

15 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Cypress is a good wood to use as a stand in for clear cedar and it isn't expensive. It will chip and rout a lot closer to the clear cedar than pine, to give you a better test piece.

Without a doubt.  Canadian lumber stores aren’t very good at stocking Cyprus.  I’d have to plan ahead and special order it. 

50 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

I keep forgetting you are up in Canada. Down here cypress is everywhere and fairly cheap. 

It depends on which side of Canada you live on.  Ontario and Quebec have tons of Cypress and US goods we never see in Alberta.  They’re close enough to the US border to wave to the Americans on the other side. 

Seattle is the closest major US Metropolitan area to Edmonton.  Even that’s 1350 KM away.  I wouldn’t call that a day trip.  

I can get Cypress.  The second you add the word “special order” to anything the cost goes up. 

Pine is available cheaply.  Minus being slightly harder than cedar, it’s a soft wood that has similar tear out issues if you’re not careful.  

I can also use regular cedar for the test cuts.  More stores are stocking knotty cedar in 4S4 with clear cedar cost always rising. 

Clear cedar requires a mature tree 50 years or older.  Old growth cedar is getting hard to come by.  Teak has the same issues.  A lot store have stopped carrying Teak because the cost have risen so much. 

On 2017-11-15 at 2:17 AM, retfr8flyr said:

I did cough-up the extra money for the Incra Lift.  It’s kind of anoying that they make you buy the CleanSweep plates as an add-on given how more they already charge for the same unit made by Jessem. 

I think this work a lot better than a Triton or the other routers that make you fuss around below the table to lock and make minor adjustments to the router. 

3E5CE934-8DCF-492C-ABAD-F39223F3A946.jpeg

9DCF8F1B-F50F-4F8B-B154-5FFDFE6ABA14.jpeg

You will love the lift and the clean sweep system. I tried using a Triton in my table but finally gave up and got the Incra lift. With the wonder fence and the hose attached to it, the clean sweep setup leaves almost zero dust on the table. I am very happy with mine, I have a PC 7518 mounted but your Milwaukee is another great router. Make sure you have plenty of support for the center of your table, the router and lift are fairly heavy and started to make my table sag in the middle but my table saw table is a lot wider than the normal Incra table. I added a center support and brought it back to level and it's been fine since.

I was also a little upset that I had to buy the clean sweep inserts as an extra item. You would think that as much as you are spending for the setup, they would include the inserts.