• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
DWFII

Paint for Akorn

Here's another conundrum that hopefully the community can resolve.

First, after reading everything I can find here and elsewhere on the Akorn, every review I've come across states unequivocally that  the body  "is constructed of 22 gauge steel, Exterior finish is powder coated steel, Interior finish is porcelain coated steel." 

But yesterday I called Chargriller in GA and the person I spoke to was adamant that the Akorn was 14 gauge steel ...dern near got into an argument about it.

Bottom line...which is it? 14 gauge being thicker would be better. I want to believe...but???

The other thing is that I am perhaps foolishly attracted to the red Akorn but if the exterior is powder coated and through wear or simple deterioration the finish becomes dull or scratched, where does one go to get red thermal paint to touch it up? My old CG offset needs painting this next spring or I'll lose it. Given all that has been said about rust regarding the Akorn...I'd like to do everything I can to prevent an early retirement.

2 hours ago, DWFII said:

Here's another conundrum that hopefully the community can resolve.

First, after reading everything I can find here and elsewhere on the Akorn, every review I've come across states unequivocally that  the body  "is constructed of 22 gauge steel, Exterior finish is powder coated steel, Interior finish is porcelain coated steel." 

But yesterday I called Chargriller in GA and the person I spoke to was adamant that the Akorn was 14 gauge steel ...dern near got into an argument about it.

Bottom line...which is it? 14 gauge being thicker would be better. I want to believe...but???

The other thing is that I am perhaps foolishly attracted to the red Akorn but if the exterior is powder coated and through wear or simple deterioration the finish becomes dull or scratched, where does one go to get red thermal paint to touch it up? My old CG offset needs painting this next spring or I'll lose it. Given all that has been said about rust regarding the Akorn...I'd like to do everything I can to prevent an early retirement.

I just hit the outside of mine with WD-40 and gave it a good rub.  Kept the outside finish looking great.

Hi, 

Welcome to the group. Unfortunately all the red one's I've seem have turned pink over time. You may want to stick to black. 

Also, the rust issues that really get you are internal because the Akron catches water in the rain. It's a great cooker but it's not a lifetime grill. I have a friend who keeps his in his garage and it barely shows any signs of wear after a long time of owning it. I have another friend who lives in Hong Kong near the ocean and after 2 years, he is starting to think about replacing it. 

It really boils down to keeping it out of the elements. 

I'm not sure about the gauge of steel I would go with whatever Char Griller says.

Keeping it out of the elements keeps them looking fresh and new. Mine is about 4 years old and It has its oven corner in the garage,  looks as good as the day I unboxed it.

There's no way the Akorn is made from 14 gauge material.  It's pretty thinly skinned in fact there have been posts on this site dealing with rivets pulling through.  I'd be more inclined to believe 22 gauge.

I just hope they watch this forum. Or that someone with some cred (I don't have any) would call them on it. Like I said, I was just on the verge of getting into an argument with the person I was talking to...even asked to talk to "technical support" (as if)...so insistant weere they that 14 gauge was what was being used. 

3 hours ago, K'man said:

...I'd be more inclined to believe 22 gauge.

Me too. But I understand how someone might be misled. 

I took calipers to the deflector support tabs. With a little cleaning, I consistently got ~1.65mm, about 16 gauge thickness. I can't see anyone getting 14 gauge (1.98mm) unless they fail to clean the parts. But we have to remember that this is ceramic-coated steel, and can expect that a ceramic coating might be as thick as the steel it clads... and 22 ga. is 0.8mm. Sounds about right to me. 

Have fun,

Frank