In2Fish

2 questions for dry aging...

Hello All

I'm thinking about dry aging a rib-eye roast for the xmas.  and thinking about going 21-30 days.

Is there a minimum size roast one should use? I know individuals steaks are too small.   In the past i've "dry aged" for 5-7 days, and used a 6-8 pound rib-eye roast.  at the moment we expect 6-7 adults to feed, so I was leaning towards a 10-12 pounds.  What do most Guru's start w/ weight wise deepening on the number of eater?

2nd question, perhaps a stupid one.  When you actual cook the roast,  is it best to cook rib-eye steaks, or would spinning on the joetisserie be great too?

As you can tell, i'm a novice at dry aging.

David

Are you going to use the Umai bags?

For me, 35 days is the sweet spot.  You can make steaks.  I have never tried a dry aged prime rib roast on the Joetisserie but i am sure it would be good.  I have a 14 pounder dry aging now so maybe I'll do that with part of it...

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Are you going to use the Umai bags?

For me, 35 days is the sweet spot.  You can make steaks.  I have never tried a dry aged prime rib roast on the Joetisserie but i am sure it would be good.  I have a 14 pounder dry aging now so maybe I'll do that with part of it...

Thx  john, yes planning on using the Umai bags

I would do a whole primal. Get it still in the cryopac. 

Once it's dry aged you don't have to cook the whole thing. You can always cut a few steaks off and freeze them for later. 

@in2fish

Yes, has to be whole primal.  You live close to me, I can hook you up with whole primals including odd cuts like Tomahawks at wholesale.  The meat is lights out good.  I just did a A103 for 45 days and it was incredible.  Check out the thread.  

I've done primals from costco and while good, you get a lot of shrinkage waste due to not enough fat or bone protection.  The A103 I did, which is the USDA number for a long bone in ribeye, had much less shrinkage waste due to the bone and entire fat cap being in place.  

If you can try without the Umai bags, I can help you through it.  World of a difference.