Lemans

Ceramic Fire Bowl

I think I must have read something similar. I asked several questions about this in the Akorn threads--here. But apparently it is a subject that no one is really interested in. If I "heard" correctly it's not really even a good idea simply because ceramic cracks and OEM firebowls won't fit into the Akorn (although in some venues the Akorn is touted as a 22" kamado).

I think there is confusion because the fire bowl for the Akorn is porcelain enameled steel.  I think somehow that has been misconstrued into the thought that there was a ceramic fire bowl. That said, there is no traditional ceramic fire bowl that I am aware of for the Akorn.  Though I could always be mistaken...

If you want some extra heat retention line the fire bowl fire bricks. Use the ones that have the half the thickness (called splits) and stand them upright around the fire bowl.

You can find them at home improvement stores. At the brick yards they are ~ $1.00 - $1.50 a brick.

This is what they look like - https://jet.com/product/detail/8217f242d2744862b0e437d9058508d8?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_dur_gen_home_decor_a3:home_decor_home_accents_fireplace_accessories_a3:na:PLA_784505246_42602302273_pla-330016559514_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=784505246&is_retargeting=true&clickid=a145b293-a383-4517-b3a8-97c99510ed88&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJrnt6rD1wIVEJJpCh1jZgD7EAQYBSABEgK6OfD_BwE

13 hours ago, DWFII said:

Interesting idea...should work, but have you done this?

Yes. I added the bricks to my Acorn & cooked that way for about 3 years until I sold the Akorn. I found that leaning the fire bricks against the bowl helped stable the temperature since it acted as a heat sink.

31 minutes ago, John421 said:

Yes. I added the bricks to my Acorn & cooked that way for about 3 years until I sold the Akorn. I found that leaning the fire bricks against the bowl helped stable the temperature since it acted as a heat sink.

thanks for following up.

Did you cut them into wedges and fit them around the fire bowl? Or just deal with the gaps? Sure would like to see photos of such a set up.

5 hours ago, DWFII said:

thanks for following up.

Did you cut them into wedges and fit them around the fire bowl? Or just deal with the gaps? Sure would like to see photos of such a set up.

Just placed them up-right w/o cutting. I sold the grill ~5 years ago. Sorry no pictures.