• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Air Fryer or Instant Pot?

Which should I buy?   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I buy on Black Friday?

• NuWave 3qt digital air fryer.
    • 6qt Instant Pot

Kohl's is having a Black Friday sale. I can get either a NuWave 3qt. digital air fryer or a 6qt. Instant Pot for $79.99.

Which should I get? No I'm not buying both at this time. 

We looked at some reviews on the Nuwave but decided to go ahead and get one because lots of reviews are written by idiots that can't run a cereal bowl.   But the overwhelming remarks were about the bowl getting stuck if you tried to remove it and add or remove food and or check for doneness, unable to get it back in.   And they were right!   It just didn't want to go back in.   We got a different brand and they are kinda handy.   Now the IP lives up to it's expectations.   And like here, IP's have their own following and adamant supporters.  I'd probably go for the IP if just getting one or the other.   

1 hour ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

We looked at some reviews on the Nuwave but decided to go ahead and get one because lots of reviews are written by idiots that can't run a cereal bowl.   But the overwhelming remarks were about the bowl getting stuck if you tried to remove it and add or remove food and or check for doneness, unable to get it back in.   And they were right!   It just didn't want to go back in.   We got a different brand and they are kinda handy.   Now the IP lives up to it's expectations.   And like here, IP's have their own following and adamant supporters.  I'd probably go for the IP if just getting one or the other.   

@BURGER MEISTER TY for your basic review. Sounds like you're leaninig towards the IP. Can you please vote in the poll. Would like to get a nice hard number between now and Black Friday.

I don't have a nuwave but I have both an air fryer and a instsant pot

while I like them both and enjoy fried chicken without the oil I would go for the instant pot due to the multiple uses it offers but seriously you own two KK's so why not just get them both

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

but seriously you own two KK's so why not just get them both

Just don't have the extra money at the moment. Putting son through college with next semester bill due Jan 5th. Trying to take a weeks vacation for Christmas and then we have Christmas presents. 

One day I'll own both just not now. 

I am a relatively new IP user.  Demos it do anything revolutionary? No. Does it help get dinner on the table faster? Slightly.  It is safer around my 20 month old who likes to climb up ON the stove to “help” heck yes. 

I would lust out the recipes on each that seem the most interesting. Then look at what you can do now another toy, and ask yourself what fits better not. 

I picked up the 9 in 1. I have only used the “manual or pressure” button.  

I voted Instant Pot.  It's handy....

I, too, have my eye on an air fryer.  I think I'm going to go with the Phillips.  Been watching sales and such to score a deal.  Will pull the trigger when I find a great price like I did with the Instant Pot (on sale at Kohls plus an extra 30% off and then another $10 off - got the Ultra model for just over $100 and free shipping).  

I find it amazing the savings my wife gets at Kohls.   When she comes home she starts spouting off all the different price cuts she got on the item and I'm surprised the store doesn't owe her money after she gets done with the coupons.   She's a keeper.

Kohl's is the one store both me and Mrs skreef like. She can go off clothes shopping while I wonder around the kitchen section. Kohl's kitchen section is almost as big as Bed Bath and Beyond's kitchen section. 

No experience with air fryers at all. I did get an IP just a few weeks ago and have been enjoying its versatility since. I cook a lot of soups and stews during the cooler months and I believe the IP will be very handy.

We have an IP waiting to be unwrapped for our anniversary next week. Can't wait to try it! I like to make my own chicken stock and it seems like the IP will be much faster for recipes that involve grains and legumes (e.g. steel cut oats, black beans, pinto beans, red beans, etc.).  I also have a bunch of slow-cook pork and beef recipes in mind.  So my vote went to the IP. 

Here are two booklets from the IP corporate site.
http://instantpot.com/recipe-booklet/

The IP is basically a pressure cooker with brains.

Can't buy the IP down under, well not easily. We have a Phillips airfryer and love it. Was used Saturday night to make the chips to go with the burgers off the Akorn. 20 minutes start to finish! Having said that I have been looking at IP clones lately and think that would get slightly more use than the airfryer does. I would go the IP path first especially after the comments about the Nuwave.