just4fn

Tip top temp test.

I started a tip top temp test today.  Kind of boring.  I am just gathering info to see how well it works and how long it takes to get to target temp.  The box has different instructions then the website.  Here is the box's instructions:

Tip Top Temp instructions:

Start a grill with a few coals, do not overload the grill. For a target  temperature of 212F for example. Use a external grill thermometer. When the grill approaches temperature, close the bottom vent, open the top vent,  turn the TTT damper open 90 degrees do not force the knob or damper past 90 degrees. Pull the gasket slightly off the edge of the TTT. Place the top vent and lightly push the TTT down to seat the gasket to the lid. Damper will start to close.

When the TTT damper quits moving, turn the TTT damper knob to the almost closed position. ( do not use the numbers), The grill will continue to heat slightly as the limited oxygen is used. Now the TTT is set for the target temperature of the grill. Do not overshoot the target temperature. To adjust, open the TTT slightly and let if feed the grill some air. As the grill warms the TTT damper will again move to the closed position but at the higher temperature. Wait 10-15 minutes between corrections for the temperature to stabilize.  You will discover 212F is approximately 2.5 on the dial at 80F ambient air temperature. Dial setting will change with varying target temperature and ambient air temperature.

If you want,  you can see the test on my flame boss 300

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/159834?historical=1

CIMG0623.JPG

CIMG0625.JPG

Those instructions are for Kettle style cookers, not Kamados.

Fill up your fire box with lump and light it. After 5 to 10 minutes close the top and set the TTT on where you think you will want your temp. I use a 2.3 for 225 230 degrees. Leave bottom vent about half way open. When you get within 50 degrees of your target temp close the bottom vent to around a 1 or maybe smaller. Once temp settles you can increase the TTT setting if you need more heat.

I've been thinking of one of these for an Akorn but...

This does not sound all that straight-forward. "Few coals"? "Pull gasket slightly off the edge"?

And FWIW, I don't understand what you've got going on in the photos. It looks like you had to add several sections of flue pipe.

3 minutes ago, robertyb said:

Those instructions are for Kettle style cookers, not Kamados.

Fill up your fire box with lump and light it. After 5 to 10 minutes close the top and set the TTT on where you think you will want your temp. I use a 2.3 for 225 230 degrees. Leave bottom vent about half way open. When you get within 50 degrees of your target temp close the bottom vent to around a 1 or maybe smaller. Once temp settles you can increase the TTT setting if you need more heat.

Ah! Than sounds more like it.

The TTT is not a direct fit.  I had to use an reducer 6/5. The TTT is 5 inches so I had to cut some splices and tape it on.  Works like it should  The total setup cost is 51.00 with TTT, reducer and tape. 

This is 1st use of Tip top temp.  I did what the instructions said and I will see if it holds temp .45 degrees outside temp.  Holding at 199.  raising 1 step.  It should go up 31 degrees to 230. I raised it at 9:25. We will see.It leveled off at 240.  One step raised it 41 degrees.  I am going to try to hit 265. each segment should be 8 degrees.  I am going to raise it 3 segments and see what happens. I raised it at 10:41.  Holding steady at 265.  Works very good so far.  

image.thumb.png.771eb01a8a147ba8cffb2eacfee7892a.png