cwhuling

Prime Rib Ribeye Roast

This was my first attempt at a Ribeye Roast, Prime Rib cook.  I followed the cooking method from John Setzler's Dec 2014 Bone-In Prime Rib Roast video going from 500 degrees down to 350 but I used the salt and pepper rub from the Nov 2013 Prime Rib video.  I picked up an 11 pound Ribeye Roast from Costco, following the 1 pound per person suggestion I had seen in other postings.  It turned out very well!

IMG_3818.JPG

screen-capture-5.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      To celebrate my new patio cabinets we invited some friends over so I thawed out a 2 1/2" ribeye steak I had in the freezer.

I unwrapped it and seasoned with Primo Chicago Stockyard steak seasoning.

I wrapped it up and let it take a 6 hour get happy rest. I now prepped some heirloom carrots

and sliced them up so they were ready to steam right before we eat.

Also washed and prepped some small potatoes so they were ready. Around 45 minutes before our guests arrived I started up the kettle. I tried my new Vortex out for this cook.

Around 30 minutes before our guests arrived I put on the potatoes and the steak.

It rode right about 330 degrees for the next hour.

My friend had brought a Belgian Ale with him so we drank a glass of that while the meat and potatoes were cooking. Here it is once the meat alarm went off at 113 degree I.T.

I remove everything and tented the steak with foil. We then cooked up some shrimp marinated in lemon juice and garlic that our friends had brought.

I then opened open the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear.

Once I thought it was like the sun I put the steak on for 60 seconds.

Flipped it and let it cook another 60 seconds.

I brought this in the house and let it rest for 10 minutes. I then cut the rib bone off

and sliced it up into approximately 1/2" slices.

I now placed the slices onto a wooden cutting board for serving and squeezed some blue cheese and herb compound butter on the top.

I took this out to the table and we all served up a plate with the lemon garlic shrimp, baked potato and the heirloom carrots.

So good!

Thanks for looking.

• By shorty_m
      2 Kroger ribeye sous vide 128 / 2 hours then seared off on Lil red akorn at 500 for 6min/side, grilled asparagus, open baked potatoes, slaw/salad, rolls, fruit salad, and sweet tea! Good eating! 

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently. Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.
      My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce. (This pic is from last year but it’s the same as what I did this year)

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)

1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

pinch of cayenne

2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)                                                  
      2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.

Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
      3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
      2 Tbsp salt
      1 Tbsp black pepper
      OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

Here are some pics of me slicing it.

On the table on the Christmas platter.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Thanks for looking.

• By Smoque'n
      I went to the store hoping to do a Tritip there were none to be had. Found this ribeye I think It will do the job. Reverse seared at 250* until internal reached 118* then took it off to season while the Primo climbed too 500* for the sear. 
    • By later4ya
      I was inspired by Shuley's post to cook Lobster tails. Alas, none available in the fridge. What was available was this giant ribeye. Granted, I should have begged off when it hit the scales at 2.25lbs. But, I figured this would make for a great breakfast sequel today and tomorrow.

Had a dusting of snow this morning. I'm starting to miss the ambient heat of the stick burner on cold windy mornings like today...

probably should have stopped at this point...