CakeM1x

KJ big Jotisserie gap

Just got to trying the BJ Jotisserie last night and it isn't a snuggling fit. No matter how I position it there is 1/8 gap in the front at best with the lid down. The Gap is on the bottom side of the Jotisserie. Any advice before I contact KJ?

That’s the one accessory on my Big Joe that sort of infuriates me.  I see pics of it on the BGE where it sits snugly on their felt line.  On my Big Joe, it sits on the inner 1/8” of the new mesh seal, and doesn’t seal as tight as you would want it to. Also, with the lift mechanism (which is awesome by the way) doesn’t allow the lid to compress the seal like it should.  I have to hang a weight off the handle to get it to compress correctly.  The temp control isn’t as good with all the cumulative air leaks around the big joetisserie.  I understand that making an accessory that fits both the BGE and the BigJoe doubles their market.  I just feel like something that I bought from my company should work best on my KJ.  I have toyed with buying aluminum bar stock to bend around the top and bottom to add 1/2 inch and create a better seal, but I fear I might crack the cast ring when attaching.  None of the local aluminum fabrication shops were interested in welding on such a thing.  I just did a 14 hour pork butt and only had to adjust the temp at hour 10 (jiggle some ash through the kick ash basket).  I should be able to do the same with the joetisserie, but 1/8” just isn’t the way the seal was designed to work.

I have a classic ii, not a BJ so this may not be the same.  I have to work the Joetisserie ring around a bit to get it to sit properly so that I get a seal.  It's as if it's just a hair small, but with wiggling it will fit and form a seal.  But if I just set it on top, there's a gap.  Must be a design feature, maybe.  Since it's happening on separate rings I'm inclined to think that the rings are up to spec and maybe it's the same thing as mine.  Try working it around a bit to find where it sits down and let's you form a good fit.  Good luck.

Now looking at videos on you tube it looks like evryones fits like that. Using it as I type. Held temp steady at 350 for almost 2 hours. Raise temp to 400 for past 20 minutes.  Seems fine. Seems like it should drop down over gasket. But it doesn't. 

I don't see how a 1/2" gap without the lid weight all the way down is acceptable. I have the old BJ so the felt gasket is thinner. With the lid down it is closer to 1/4" gap in the front. I noticed I churned through a lot of charcoal with it being cold out. Pretty disappointed.

IMG_20171120_163825_zpswhfvrfyj.jpg~orig

I'm just as disappointed. Very poorly designed. They ask top dollar for their products and accessories and it lacks the proper fit. I have a Weber rotisserie  for my Weber grill for years and no problems what so ever. And that was less than $100.

I just bought a Classic ll and a Joetisserie 2weeks ago. They both are awesome. From the picture I see Ron, you need to move it back towards the hings. The JOE T sits on the seal not inside of it on the back. The front of the Joe T will be sitting right in the middle of the seal NOT on the front edge. Mine seals perfectly. Turned a 12# turkey for Christmas...was AMAZING! I just took pictures of mine. I hope this helps. Enjoy your KJ!

B7CD8C35-D501-4F59-AF1B-B90841071011.jpeg

098C482E-A12F-481D-8298-7B19CA2C37D1.jpeg