fotoman

Electric Heat Gun

I just received this email circular from Harbor Freight.  I have one of these electric heaters and starting a fire has never been easier or quicker.  I paid $13.00 for mine so at $8.99 it's a deal.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzU4NTY2NjQiLCJza3UiOiI5NjI4OSIsImlzIjoiOC45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi OiIzNDUwIn0%3D &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4717a&utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c4717a&sfid=

Paid $8.99 (I think) about 2.5 years ago for the same heat gun.  Been using it to light lump charcoal in the Akorn ever since.  Works great.  Haven't managed to wear it out or break it yet. I definitely got my $9 out of it.

I had one until it died, but it worked great. Just stick it in the coals and turn it on. A few mins later coals were glowing pink. The main limitation with a heat gun is that it requires electricity and running extension cords to your grill. Not a big deal, but it could be in some setups. Hence the small propane tank and torch.

I have that gun and tried it before, it does work but you need power to the grill, you have to hold it in place and it takes a minute or 3.  Nothing is easier than using a small fire starter, many options but I use a cotton ball with alcohol.  

+1 for the cotton ball and and alcohol, the last couple of times I was out of denatured alcohol so I used acetone, not recommended but it worked.  When my wife was canning, I did dip a few pieces of cardboard into the paraffin and they also make a decent fire starter.  But the alcohol/cotton ball still works the best.