K'man

Turkey Breast & Disney Drums

I've been wanting to cook a turkey breast for a while now.  It's much cheaper here to buy a whole bird than to buy a breast.  I carved this one from a 12 lb. bird.  The breast weight 4 lb.9 oz.  I brined it for 20 hours using a 1 gallon solution.  I decided to do the Disney brine for the drumsticks.  They brined for 24 hours.

The breast went on 45 minutes before the drumsticks and came off to rest at 160˚F  The entire cook was 2-1/2 hours.  The breast was extremely moist and the drum sticks came out exactly as described in the AmazingrRibs.com video.

@toddwchandler I think this is about as close as you can come to cooking a whole turkey on an Akorn Jr.

Here are a few pics, thanks for looking.

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

fullsizeoutput_42f.jpeg

IMG_1760.JPG

17 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Follow up question - was it hard to carve the breast out of the bird? 

No not difficult.  Check out youtube.  There are plenty of videos.  I left the breast bone in.  This would be what they call a Turkey Crown Roast.

37 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Follow up question - was it hard to carve the breast out of the bird? 

I took a cooking class with Jacques Pepin where he demonstrated how to bone out a whole chicken to make ballotine.  He took many minutes to show all of the technique with several birds.  Then he did one like he does, full speed,  took about 45 seconds.  I have done Turducken in the past, boning out each of the 3 birds got progressively faster.  Learning process.

Nice! I'm glad to see how well that went!

We've brought our Jr. with us to the beach for Thanksgiving, and I had thought about doing a breast, but not having much experience with the jr the family went with Honeybaked for T Day...then my daughter tells me she doesn't like 'sweet' turkey, so my in-laws brought some turkey thighs down with them, will be doing those tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, O C said:

Nice! I'm glad to see how well that went!

We've brought our Jr. with us to the beach for Thanksgiving, and I had thought about doing a breast, but not having much experience with the jr the family went with Honeybaked for T Day...then my daughter tells me she doesn't like 'sweet' turkey, so my in-laws brought some turkey thighs down with them, will be doing those tomorrow. 

They're very capable little cookers.  The more you use it the more you'll want to cook on it.  12 hour cooks LNS with picnic shoulders are doable so is pizza.  I love to do large meatloaves too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Smoke and Awe
      My goal was to get this done last Friday, but life intervened.  However, today is a beautiful Northwest day at the beach, and I could do this with the ingredients I had on hand.  The recipe is for Brazilian Salmon Stew (Moqueca), and I used wild caught Coho Salmon portions, in a braise of chopped garlic, green pepper, onions, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and the surprise ingredient, coconut milk.  The salmon portions were skinless, then marinated in a mixture of lime juice, cumin, sweet paprika, s & p.  I've never skinned salmon before, and it's a good thing I didn't have company as there wasn't enough salmon left for more than 2...

The recipe called for layering the ingredients, but for just us I halved it, so ended up with only one layer, but no problem.  Used my trusty thrift store stoneware pan, no extra smoke.  Had to finish the meal with some garlic parmesan rolls from the freezer.  Like I said, easy and Nummy, as my husband said, but so simple in the kamado.  I used the dome as my casserole lid, so the salmon got a little color on it.  

• By Smoke and Awe
      I was happy to be home all day and get to make my own birthday dinner, inspired by @ckreef's zucchini gratin, and @keeperovdeflame's mayo corn.  The pork sirloin chops were marinated in buttermilk, then rinsed and patted dry before applying a garlic and herb rub for a couple of hours.  Sirloin doesn't take long to cook, so I did the gratin first, then the chops with the corn mixture on top.  This is what it's all about. Lovely.

• By K'man
      I was on Amazon today and found this.  I don't recall ever seeing these settings posted in either manual I have for my two Jr's.  Thought I'd post as a general guide.  I've never operated my Jr's with the top vent totally closed before, almost but not completely as shown.
      FYI

• By K'man
      This afternoon I opened up two pork tenderloins.  I seasoned them with onion & garlic and stuffed basil leaves & pesto  into the cuts before I tied them together.  I wrapped them in a bacon weave and cooked them indirect at 350˚F for about 40 minutes.  I went direct to crisp the bacon.  They finished right where I wanted them to.

• By K'man
      Last night I cooked a steelhead trout.  These fish are farmed off the south coast of the island and are great eating.  It was a good time for a local brew as well.  
      I used apple wood for smoke and mayonnaise to coat the skin.  Previously I would have used a porcelain accessory pan with holes to allow the smoke through and minimize the skin sticking.   Not necessary now.  Cooked  indirect for about 45  minutes LNS to an internal temp of 160˚F.  Served with rice, green beans and salad.  Great meal.