T-Bone

Why would anyone buy a kamado Joe branded kamado?

No disrespect against the kamado Joe brand. Or any of the other kamado models for that matter.

But assuming someone lives near a Sam's or Costco that sells a Vision grill for about 400 bucks, and knowing that anyone could buy the divide-and-conquer set up for about a 150 bucks maximum, and knowing that you have to throw in maybe a $45 membership fee for one year, I think for 600 bucks someone could buy a full-featured kamado 18 in which is half the price of a kamado Joe classic.

I purchased a kamado Joe classic I, before I bought my vision Grill. That was a year-and-a-half ago. I thought I was getting a deal on Amazon because I was getting a free Joe tisserie.  1000 bucks total.  But it was damaged in transit.

Yeah, yeah, I know. They are all great cookers. But I'm just wondering why someone would pay twice the price for the kamado Joe brand when they're really not getting twice the

features.

Not disagreeing...although KJ  (or KK) would be my choice if I had the money...but two things:

First, and most related to your question, I suspect the equation is equally valid when you compare a Vision to an Akorn. What do you get from a Vision that is worth 2x the price of an Akorn? Surely, we don't want to count the fragility.

Second, not everyone has a Sam's Club anywhere near them. We, here in Oregon, don't. Vision won't sell direct and can't find a way to facilitate a purchase for me. And if you add in annual membership at Costco or Sam's Club...a membership which you may never use again, esp. if it's a significant drive to get to the nearest store...it starts to add up. Even if I tried to purchase at Sam's Club Online, after paying the membership fee,  it's still $99.00 shipping. And suddenly what looked like a heck of a deal (Vision diamond cut B-series at $549.00) is not significantly better than most of the other grills out there in terms of price.

You just need an auctioneer to rattle off the price increments for you while you shop--"Who'll give me $549? Now $600....now $700...now $850...going once, going twice..." :-D

Although...a $2000.00 bespoke shoe is almost certainly worth at least 5x the $200.00 manufactured shoe. It's simply better constructed, with better techniques and materials.

In my professional opinion...

B)

I agree. That's why I buy moderately expensive running shoes. It is worth it to me not not experience shin splints, to support my ankles and decrease pain. I definitely use my running shoes regularly for their purpose. It might not be worth it to someone who occasionally uses them. Same with grills. My KK was worth it to me in my particular circumstances might not be to the occasional griller or someone in a different relationship. My husband was completely supportive of getting it. It would not have been worth it if it caused marital discord. 

Sure, I get the analogy with sneakers.  But I think we would agree the analogy isn't appropriate. There are huge implications in the engineering and design of a running shoe.  Because a bad one can cause physical harm to the body.

With a ceramic Grill, it's much more simple.  Like will the Firebox crack or not? Or does smoke leak when the lid is closed?  Or are there any leaks that will cause the grill to have a hard time maintaining low temperature?  Is the design of the top vent easy to use?

The analogy with the akorn grill is a closer match to having a good analogy. But then again, but grill is made of metal and can rust, and the other one is pure ceramic.

But the analogy between the kamado Joe classic and the large big green egg is similar to what I was wondering about here.  For all intents and purposes, the kamado Joe classic is every bit as good as a large big green egg. And costs so much less.

And so the Vision grill cost so much less than the kamado Joe classic. Even Home Depot was running them at $500 the other day near me... And I think that was the professional version that had the fancy dial on the front.

Easy for me (I've got a Primo) one of reasons was a dedicated dealer network to support you.  Another for me USA made.  Another is I feel it is of better quality materials.  Yes I've kicked the tires and put hands on many narrowing it down to the big three.  I've also heard of getting a warranty straightened out by having to haul your Sams or Costco kamado back and getting your money back. This was because they had no others in stock and the manufacturer directed them to do that, No Thanks.  Bottom line it all comes down to what you desire, what you think is best for your family or you and what you can afford.

BMW or Ford?  Thermapen or Taylor?  Komodo Kamado or Weber kettle?  

You can get the job done at whatever price point you want to pick.  If you can cook, the tools you have to do it with are less important.  If you want it to be a hobby and something enjoyable, you should buy tools that will make you happy in the process.  

I won't get into the debate of one grill brand vs another because its a pointless debate.  Buy whatever makes you happy.  You don't need outside support to justify your purchase.  

In my opinion, $500 difference in one kamado or another is irrelevant.  You are going to spend a TON more money on other stuff you don't need to go along with it anyway :)  Probably more than the cost of the kamado after all is said and done.

Without reading anything but the OP here is my personal view.  

1) support, KJs is the top of the ceramic Kamado grills. I am sure this statement might generate some discussion. If it does, keep it civil!  Just to name a few things, easy claims, free shipping on warranty on parts. 

2) innovation. Lifting the lid on my KJC II with the airlift, I really want to replace my Bigjoe (hint, that’s not happening)!  

Better gaskets, powder coating, D&C, ect...

3) vision grills are seasonal items that are not restocked year to year.  Try to get a replacement from Costco in January and you are out of luck. Costco switched from vision to Pit Boss. 

1 minute ago, Mewantkj said:

Without reading anything but the OP here is my personal view.  

1) support, KJs is the top of the ceramic Kamado grills. I am sure this statement might generate some discussion. If it does, keep it civil!  Just to name a few things, easy claims, free shipping on warranty on parts. 

2) innovation. Lifting the lid on my KJC II with the airlift, I really want to replace my Bigjoe (hint, that’s not happening)!  

Better gaskets, powder coating, D&C, ect...

3) vision grills are seasonal items that are not restocked year to year.  Try to get a replacement from Costco in January and you are out of luck. Costco switched from vision to Pit Boss. 

Exactly, my Pit Boss cracked on the outside and Costco said "sorry, don't know when we're gonna get any more in"   And I had them check Costco's within 50 miles......nothin.   So now I got KJ's.   Big'en and a little'en.   Long time ago I had a Weber Lil' jo I believe it was called, got it for camping, couldn't get that thing hot enough to sear a decent burger or steak on it.   My Jr, when vents open is almost scary efficient for searing.  But I digress, I believe even the less expensive kamados are capable of sufficient heat with enough air flow.  Just depends on other factors like others have pointed out.  

I am a big time person to ensure that I "get what I pay for".  Rarely do I not get the value from a purchase price. If the price doesn't suit me, I don't buy. 

I was raised by depression era parents and grew up with like minded families.

So with that history;  I evaluate, agonize, deliberate, what have you,  on  purchases that are wants rather than needs.

Cooking will happen with a heat source of any kind. People have joked about a clay pot with sticks in it and a grilling surface of some kind with a tin foil top being a Kamado. Then you have big money spent on household name products for grilling.

I am back to, "You get what you pay for". That's not an analogy.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

You can get the job done at whatever price point you want to pick.  If you can cook, the tools you have to do it with are less important.  If you want it to be a hobby and something enjoyable, you should buy tools that will make you happy in the process.

I think the above post say's it best.

This what I call EV (entertainment value ) around my house , EV = cost / hours of use. If it is something I will rarely use the I go bottom end and if it's going to used on constant basis I usually try to go high end as financially possible. Almost every hobby I ever started out in I would start out in the would be the bottom end and if stayed within that hobby would eventually end up buying higher end products. I think for most it is just a natural progression.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I won't get into the debate of one grill brand vs another because its a pointless debate.  Buy whatever makes you happy.  You don't need outside support to justify your purchase.  

In my opinion, $500 difference in one kamado or another is irrelevant.  You are going to spend a TON more money on other stuff you don't need to go along with it anyway :)  Probably more than the cost of the kamado after all is said and done.

What john said i agree 100 percent