Using briquettes instead of Lump in the akorn

I'm going to try bbq pit boys apple cider brine for my thanksgiving turkey. In the video, they used a webber with briquettes. I'm thinking of taking out the lump in my akorn and using briquettes for a different flavor. Has anyone tried this and if it works, noticed the difference in flavor???

I do not like the taste that regular briqs (such as the ubiquitous Kingsford blue bag) impart to food during a lower/slower cook. I have used all natural briqs (such as Kingsford Competition) in the Akorn with good results.

Whatever charcoal/wood combo use use, remember that poultry seems to absorb smoke flavors more so than other meats. So make sure your fire is settled in before adding the bird, and go easy on the smoke wood.

3 hours ago, Mike56701 said:

Thanks, I think I'll skip the briquettes and make sure i have all the lump lit. I most likely start cooking too soon most of the time.  

I hope you didn't really mean "make sure I have all the lump lit."  You only want to light it in one at most two spots to maintain a 225-325 temp. throughout the cook.

Hate to go against the grain here, but I have never had a problem with flavors and tastes doing low and slow with briquettes, and I use the Digi-Que often at 210 and have smoked jerky at 155 and there were no "off" flavors.  Read Meatheads approach in his book, guote:  "As a cook you need control and consistency, you get that from briquettes, not from lump".  I totally agree, all of the bags of lump I've gone through had so much little bits and dust that it was totally aggravating to cook with.  Use what you want but don't believe everything you read about taste, there are tons of BBQ competitors turning out world class Que using, guess what?  Briquettes.  You don't hear the judges complaining about the charcoal taste.

2 minutes ago, HeavyG said:

The only drawback to using Kingsford bricks is they create a LOT more ash but that is generally not a problem. Just means you will need to clean the ash out more often.

Quantify your claim of a "LOT" more ash with some measurements.  I dont't find it to be a problem.  And I will add a quote from Adam Perry Lang about taste:  "These {briquettes} don't smell as good as lump charcoal and some people rag on them for containing less than natural binders.  But I've never noticed a major difference in flavor". 

I do find a major difference in flavor. Briquettes, especially kingsford are as distinctive to a flavor profile as a rub or a smoking wood. And many cooks opt for it over wood or lump. When I buy lump from RD, I see other bbq cooks loading up on the Kingsford- to each his own. 

I also have zero issues with consistency related to lump. However, I do practice quality control as it relates to loading lump into the Joe. On a burger or steak cook, I might lazily just pour the bag in. On long cooks however, I hand place each piece- no tid bits, chips or dust.

19 hours ago, daninpd said:

Quantify your claim of a "LOT" more ash with some measurements.  I dont't find it to be a problem.  And I will add a quote from Adam Perry Lang about taste:  "These {briquettes} don't smell as good as lump charcoal and some people rag on them for containing less than natural binders.  But I've never noticed a major difference in flavor". 

Here ya go:

ashvolume.gif

ashweight.gif

I thought about briquettes in my previous Akorn for a while. Recently,  I have even seen a few videos where cooks have used both. It was either a test run or they have their reasons.

I have concluded that anyone can impart some info backing up that what they hold to be best for their conviction...... I have heard like type arguments about vehicle manufacturers, sports teams, how to light a fire etc, losing belly fat. etc.....I think one gets the picture.

I traded my Akorn away so......

Taste. My mother always claimed if you use enough salt or sugar or both, it all tastes good. Yikes.

Ash. A necessary evil. LOL.

Low and slow poultry cooks. I don't do them to avoid the ashtray taste.

M.