• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Pecans

Recipe:

3 8-oz blocks of softened cream cheese
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt

For the Oreo crust:

24 Oreo cookies
6 tbsp melted butter

Candied Pecans:

1/2 cup loosely sifted powdered sugar
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp whisky or water

Preheat your grill to 350°F.  

Mix the ingredients for the candied pecan glaze and toss the pecans in the glaze.  Arrange the pecans in a pan (preferably on a sheet of parchment paper) and put in the grill for 10-12 minutes until done.  Allow to cool completely and set aside.

Crush the oreo cookies by hand and melt the butter.  Combine the butter and cookie crumbs in a mixing bowl and then form into the bottom of a greased 9" spring form pan.  Set aside.

Add the softened cream cheese to the bowl of a mixer and cream.   Add the rest of the ingredients and mix completely until there are no lumps left.  After the mixture gets fairly well combined, it may work better with a wisk attachment.

Pour the pumpkin mixture into the spring form pan.  Place on the grill and cook at 350°F for 60-75 minutes just until the center of the cheesecake is barely 'jiggly' and not completely cooked.  Remove and cool on a wire rack for one hour.  Refrigerate to completely cool for four hours or as long as needed up to overnight.  

Slice your cheesecake and garnish with chocolate and caramel sauce and shaved dark chocolate if desired and top with the candied pecans. 

Enjoy!

Looks delicious. I watched the video with my wife and I told her I may try to make this for the church Christmas party in December 9th and she responded by saying,  "You can do it next week when we get back home!" Looks like I will be giving this recipe a go on Monday. Thanks for sharing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dub
      Haver your grill or oven running steady at 350 degrees.

Works great with a wings, chicken or meatloaf recipe.

It sounds ridiculously simple......yet the results may trump yer meal.  No kidding.....that simple......yet that dang tasty.

2 cans of peaches in heavy syrup....dump them & ingredients into a 13"x9" Pyrex dish.......no need to grease.

1 box of yellow cake mix (non prepared....just the mix itself.....dump it over the contents from the peach cans).

Stir it around a bit.  Let the cake mix soak in the goodness.   

Stir up 3 eggs.  Whip 'em and drop them over the cake & peaches.

Sprinkle a cup of chopped walnuts over the mix.

Sprinkle a cup of dark brown sugar over all.

Then....slice up two sticks of butter and place over the top of the mix.

350 degree grill or oven......for 45-55 minutes.

• By John Setzler

Dough:

300 grams (2 cups plus two tablespoons) all purpose flour (100%)
      195 grams (7/8 cup) lukewarm water (65%)
      6 grams (3/4 tsp) salt (2%)
      6 grams (1 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast (2%)
      2 tbsp melted butter
      1 1/2 to 2 tsp ground cinnamon

Note: You can easily use a store-bought pizza dough for this recipe if you choose.  

Combine the yeast and water and let dissolve for 10-15 minutes.  Add the melted butter.

Wisk the dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.  

After the yeast has dissolved, combine with the dry ingredients and knead by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until there is no sign of dry flour left.  Cover with plastic in mixing bowl and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the grill to 375°F and set up for indirect cooking on a pizza stone. 

Make your glaze drizzle:

Wisk together:
      1 cup powdered sugar
      2 tbsp milk
      1 to 2 tsp vanilla extract

After your dough has risen, form it out into a 12-14 inch diameter pizza crust.  Put it on the grill and cook it by itself for about 10 minutes. 
      Remove it from the grill.

Spread cream cheese frosting over the surface of the crust (See recipe below).

4 oz butter, softened
      4 oz cream cheese, softened
      2 cups powdered sugar
      1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together completely

Spread Strawberry Pie Filling over the surface (or any other pie filling or combination of pie fillings that you might like.
      Return to the pizza stone on the grill for another 10 minutes.

After that 10 minutes. sprinkle on some chocolate chips and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.

Remove from the grill and let cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle with your glaze.

• By John Setzler

Dough:

3 1/2 ounces butter
      2 cups milk
      2 tsp active dry yeast
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 tablespoon honey
      1 tsp ground cinnamon
      about 5 cups of flour

Filling:

1 stick (4oz) butter
      1/2 cup sugar
      2 tsp cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 stick (4oz) butter
      4 oz cream cheese
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      2 (or more) tsp Amaretto (optional)

Directions:

Preheat your grill to 450°F and setup for indirect cooking.

Melt the butter and add the milk and warm it to around 90°F. Remove from heat, add to mixing bowl and add the yeast. Stir until the yeast is dissolved and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Add the sugar, salt, honey, ground cinnamon and combine completely. Work in the flour until almost all of it is combined (reserve 1/4 to 1/2 cup) using the dough hook of a mixer or mixing by hand until the dough pulls cleanly from the edges of the mixing bowl.

Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30-60 minutes or until doubled in size.

Make the filling by melting the butter and then adding the sugar and cinnamon. Mix completely and set aside.

Remove half of your dough to a work surface where you have spread out your remaining flour. Roll the flour into a large rectangle about 1/4" thick. Spread half of the filling across the dough. Roll the dough up from the long edge and slice into 1 1/2" - 2" thick slices and place in a greased 10" cast iron pan. Repeat the process with the second half of the dough. Allow the rolls to rise in the pan for another 30-45 minutes. 

To make the cream cheese frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the vanilla and amaretto if using and mix completely. Cover and set aside.

Place your pan on the grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown on top. Remove from the grill and allow to cool 10 minutes or so before spreading some of the cream cheese frosting on the rolls...

Serve warm and enjoy!
    • By J-Do
      I am not a baker, and I have never made a pie before.

And I screwed this pie up, too. But I'll make it again.

I found a recipe from BGE and since I was going to have the grill fired up for some chicken wings, I thought I would give this a shot for Thanksgiving practice. I found the recipe on BGE's site, and it's a few years old. The recipe is pretty simple. I'll save you a click if you don't want to download the PDF I linked to.
      3 eggs, beaten.
      5 table spoons of butter, melted
      1 cup of dark corn syrup
      1 cup of light brown sugar
      1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
      1 cup of chopped pecans
      1 tablespoon of AP flour
      1/4 cup of bourbon, plus extra for the cook (pit master's discretion)

Simply combine it all and put it in a pie shell. BGE recommended 400 degrees directly on the heat deflector for 45 minutes.That was too long, and too hot in my case. I also only had on hand a graham cracker crust. I wouldn't do that again, either. The bottom got scorched, and it burned a bit (I'm sure due to all the various sugars in the pie), but the combination of pecans, chocolate and bourbon was a for sure winner! 

I'm going to make this again this week, but I'll do it a little lower on the temp, and for less time and I'll keep a closer eye on it. I cooked on the grill grates, above the heat deflectors.

Like I said before, I have never, ever, made a pie before, but I will make this pie again and again. Once I get the recipe down, I'll share it again. 

I'd welcome any tips from those of you who bake on their kamados more often than I do, which is this one time. Thanks for reading!

• By wallawu
      Got on here yesterday and came to the dessert section to get an idea.  Saw these "dump cake" recipes and checked them out.  They seemed easy enough so I found one with blueberries because I'm not the biggest cherry fan.  Here's the recipe I used:

Blueberry Dump Cake

Ingredients
      1 box of yellow cake mix 1 21 oz can of blueberry pie filling 1 large can of crushed pineapple, drained 1 cup fresh blueberries 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional) 1 stick of butter Directions
      Preheat oven to 375. Spread the can of blueberry pie filling at the bottom of a  9.5 x 13 cake pan/pyrex dish (or similar size-but no bigger.) Spread crushed pineapple over pie filling and top with shredded coconut and 3/4 of the fresh blueberries. Evenly sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. Melt 3/4 of the butter stick and drizzle over the cake mix. Thinly slice the rest of the butter stick and randomly place the sliced butter pieces on any dry cake mix still showing. Sprinkle the rest of the fresh blueberries on top of the cake mix. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake topping is golden brown.  
      It was so easy that I thought surely it couldn't taste that great.  After about 2 seconds in my mouth it hit me that this stuff was legit, and probably one of the best desserts I've ever made.  If I had to change one thing, I'd use a can and a half of the blueberry pie filling so the cake would have a little more to soak up, but it's incredible as it is.  The coconut really sets it off.

Thanks, everybody, for introducing me to new and fresh ideas every day.