Turkey 101

Sorry for so many posts I guess I ran out of edit chances cuz I keep on adding to them lol

But for me personally I have found that 300 degrees indirect heat using spatchcock method is the best for more smoke flavor in your bird and maximum moisture....I feel 375 would drastically reduce the cook time and not allow for that smoke to really set in.....when spatchcock the time is cut down anyways....also towards the last hour or so of the cook, wrap the wing and leg ends in foil to keep them from getting too crispy and drying out....the final pic says it all....perfect coloring throughout

4 hours ago, Z mann R2 said:

Sorry for so many posts I guess I ran out of edit chances cuz I keep on adding to them lol

But for me personally I have found that 300 degrees indirect heat using spatchcock method is the best for more smoke flavor in your bird and maximum moisture....I feel 375 would drastically reduce the cook time and not allow for that smoke to really set in.....when spatchcock the time is cut down anyways....also towards the last hour or so of the cook, wrap the wing and leg ends in foil to keep them from getting too crispy and drying out....the final pic says it all....perfect coloring throughout

The good news is that it's all about preference.  There isn't a right or a wrong way.  I prefer very light smoke on poultry... so light that I will often times not add any smoking wood to the cook.  I prefer the hotter cook to make the skin on the bird have a better bite characteristic.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy a KJ.  One thing I'd definitely like to cook is Turkey.  I expect to brine and cook low and slow.

1. Up to what size turkey could you reasonably cook in a KJ III classic, or would you need a Big Joe III for optimum results?

2. What hardware accessories should I definitely purchase to cook a turkey, or do the KJ III's already come with everything I'd need?

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

I'm looking to buy a KJ.  One thing I'd definitely like to cook is Turkey.  I expect to brine and cook low and slow.

1. Up to what size turkey could you reasonably cook in a KJ III classic, or would you need a Big Joe III for optimum results?

2. What hardware accessories should I definitely purchase to cook a turkey, or do the KJ III's already come with everything I'd need?

Thank you.

Welcome, glad to have you with us. The KJ Classic has basically the same grate size as my Large BGE.  Heres a pic of a 13 lb spatchcocked turkey on my main grate. You can expect the same with a KJ Classic. The KJ Classic is wonderful grill and a great choice. If  I got another grill I would definitely consider one strongly. The decision of going with the Classic or the Big Joe just depends on how many you are going to be cooking for. I mostly cook for only my wife and I and a family of 6 on Christmas and Thanksgiving. The Classic size is perfect for me. However, if you have a bunch of kids and family you will probably enjoy the room a Big Joe gives you. The nice thing about KJ's is they come with the Divide and Conquer racks, stones, and such, pretty much every thing you need to cook a turkey right out of the box; really all you would need add is a good remote thermometer and probe set.  Also when you get your grill, please stop by the Intro thread and let all our folks know your story and such. Happy Cooking.

Hey KeeperOvDeFlame, thanks for the great info.

Your perfect photo, as they say, is worth 1000 words.  It's right up my alley as we grow citrus and rosemary too.  And typically, I'll only be cooking for my wife and myself too.  Bottom line, this makes it really clear that the KJ III classic will do the job.  For further sizing info, I did get ahold of Gary at AGC, and he asked me how often I needed to do 2 turkeys simultaneously.  :-o  No, that won't be necessary.

So my order is in.  Let the practicing begin!  Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

So, reasonably new to this Kamado thing , KJ Classic. Besides "regular" stuff I've done a brisket and pork shoulder with stellar results... My next big experiment is going to be a turkey this thanksgiving as my daughters and my one SIL will be coming. 

So I'm starting my research early to get my supplies in line in plenty of time!

Thanks for the great write up John, and all the other comments by everyone along the way! Wish me luck!

13 minutes ago, A.O. said:

So, reasonably new to this Kamado thing , KJ Classic. Besides "regular" stuff I've done a brisket and pork shoulder with stellar results... My next big experiment is going to be a turkey this thanksgiving as my daughters and my one SIL will be coming. 

So I'm starting my research early to get my supplies in line in plenty of time!

Thanks for the great write up John, and all the other comments by everyone along the way! Wish me luck!

My best advice to you is to NOT do your first turkey cook on Thanksgiving day.  I never recommend experimental cooks for important meals.  Get a turkey now and give it a go so you will have that experience under your belt before the day where it really matters.

The one thing I have learned is to never do my first “new item main course cook” with all my family over.  It’s too much pressure and if things don’t turn out right, I feel like I have lost my masculinity.  It took me 3 “failures” to change my approach.  I will do experiments with appetizers and such but never with the main course.  

Of course, we are all made differently and your self worth may not be tied up in the opinion of others in a roasted turkey like mine would be. I am what I am (Popeye the Sailorman)

Edited by Gebo

• 5 weeks later...

Alrighty then.. Been looking and no one has been stocking turkeys yet... then finally they showed up so the wife procured a pair of matching ten pounders, great for the experiment!! This weekend I'll be out of town so next weekend will be my practice weekend!!

I am planning on spatchcocking this bird and then brining it. I've wet brined a lot of birds but never tried dry brining and I'm not sure which way I will go wet or dry... any ideas/ arguments on this aspect of it?

Also.. thawing.. I've always "known" to thaw in a ice water bath but I'm seeing in this thread the idea of refrigerator thawing , that would work out great as I could thaw it over the weekend, then brine it for 2-3 days and cook it on Thursday which would be the perfect scenario... sound like a good plan or no???????

Cant wait to give a go to my first Kamado turkey!

I am only cooking for my wife and I, but I am still going to try to do a whole turkey, just for tradition and the leftovers, sandwiches, and such. My local Fry's market did not have any turkeys out. The meat guy  said they expect to get a shipment of turkeys on November 1st, but he had no idea what brand, kind of prep, etc. I want a 13 lb naked, natural fed, no prep antibiotics or hormones, organic young turkey, but it looks like choice is going to be pretty limited. I have a nice prime Tri Tip in the freezer that will be my back up plan. 

It doesn't happen too often around here, but the odd time fresh turkey is on sale, I will purchase and break it down into quarters and vacuum seal them all separately.  Gives us (2 people) the option to cook 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full amount depending on who's coming.  We only cook them spatchcocked so makes no difference for us.  All the backbones, necks etc are all kept for gravy making.  Works well.

Last fall, there were fresh on sale for $0.49 a pound...we bought a bunch!!  Nice turkeys for $7...yes please!!