Null4end

Thanksgiving on the Akorn

I'm doing my first turkey.  It was hard to find a good spot for the BBQ probe with a 18# turkey on the grate.    I'm keeping it around 300 degrees and 2 hours in, I'm at 129 internal temp.

My skin pulled back...not sure why.   Seems to be moist though.5a1736aed2104_2017turkey.thumb.jpg.d230f5a2c3921d657985ffaa8f0a3fde.jpg

Yours definitely had better presentation than mine!    2.5 hrs just under 300 deg and I pulled it when the breast temp probe said 160.  Covered it and let it rest for an hour.    Still hot when I served it.  Hot.  Moist.  Delicious.    Can't wait to chop up some breast meat for turkey salad.

13 hours ago, bcbz71 said:

I'm doing my first turkey.  It was hard to find a good spot for the BBQ probe with a 18# turkey on the grate.    I'm keeping it around 300 degrees and 2 hours in, I'm at 129 internal temp.

My skin pulled back...not sure why.   Seems to be moist though.5a1736aed2104_2017turkey.thumb.jpg.d230f5a2c3921d657985ffaa8f0a3fde.jpg

Was that a butter basted turkey?  Akorn therms tend to read low and the intense heat from the dome may have boiled the butter causing the skin to burst.  

Actually, putting a probe that close to the food makes a thermometer read low. Better to set the temp without food, then see where the temperature goes when you add food. The effect can be large or small, so it's hard to predict, but easy to measure. With that placement, you likely ran far hotter than you thought. What did the dome say?

My Akorn dome thermometer reads accurately, but rarely the same as probes placed elsewhere in the Kamado, which also disagree. Given multiple sensors report varying temperature, I conclude that temperature varies inside, rather than my thermometers are wrong. One great advantage is the dome continues working above 573F. 

As an example, I sear steaks on cast iron, preheated over direct fire in a 650F Kamado. Grill sensor is next to the cast iron, and shaded from the fire. The grill level reads 90F lower than the top vent until the cast iron warms, closing to 30F when the sensors max out. Dome reads 550F and continues to rise after the Maverick reads hhh.

Have fun,

Frank 

That's good info.    I was thinking that my probe would actually reflect the true temp above the stone by placing it in the cavity of the turkey, but it was probably reading low.  My instinct was telling me that it was too much smoke pouring out the top for 295 degrees, but I was just letting it ride and relying on the breast probe.   My dome is reading 200 when the grill is off, so that's useless.

Guess I got lucky with a hot grill to still produced a juicy bird.   When the grill has that much stuff on it (big turkey), could I drop the probe in from the top vent and let it hang?   I usually clamp it to the upper grate, but I had to remove that for the turkey to fit.

Both of those look great.   I did the same.  Temp got away on me a bit and a 12 pound bird ended up cooking at about 425-475.  It cooked in an hour and a half.  I pulled it at breast temp of 165 and thighs at about 175.  Thought it would be dry  but was still moist as can be with good juices flowing and nothing burnt on the outside.  .   It wasn't completely thawed the night before so I brined it in ice water overnight to speed it along and also injected about 8oz of butter under the skin, so I suppose that help keep it moist.  Came out about perfect in color and taste.  Was also a cheap $0.67/# Walmart bird.  So quite happy with the results.  I might stick with the high temp quick cooks.