Sign in to follow this  
LostArrow

Wearing out

I got my AKORN April of 2012, 

its been a good cooker with minimal issues.

the support for ash pan has rusted out& while the two clamp supports work for now the bottom has other rust damage.

anyone else with this problem

You are not the only one to experience this wear. My Akorn is 4 years old and it is covered when not in use but it is showing signs of age/minor surface rust. I would hope to get another two years out of it before replacing it. I am perfectly happy with the cooker and its anticipated life expectancy.

My Akorn is nearly 6 years old now and I still see no rust and have no issues with it at all.It's never been covered but it lives in a brick enclosure at the edge of a covered patio. Ive never even had any rust on the grate. Im starting to wonder if it will ever wear out but if it does I will buy another one.

Interesting to look at the location of those reporting:

Rusting:  High Humidity (Texas, Mississippi)

No Issues:  Low Humidity (Sierra Foothills)

Does this seem accurate?  My knowledge of humid areas is limited but based on what I've heard over the years.  Where I live (North Carolina Piedmont) is very humid, so I expect rust issues, but given the price of the Akorn, simply replacing the unit after a few years seems reasonable.

Mine also is on it's last legs.  Rust the primary issue but I too am in the high humidity, salt air (coastal) area and see this on almost everything I own.    Akorn is now 6 years old so I have  no complaints other than I wish I  had bought it years earlier.  It is covered and sits under a deck on cement slab when not in use.

My Akorn is just over 4 1/2 years old, the ash pan support finally snapped and CharGriller was kind enough to ship a replacement bottom.  Other than that, some other rust spots & normal wear & tear.  Couldn't be happier w/ the product & the company, will buy another if/when this one wears out.  Also have the Jr. and probably use that for 75% of cooks.

When I realized that the ash pan support on the bottom would be a major weak point for my Akorn Jr., I started using an insert in the fire bowl that holds the charcoal and also can be lifted out to empty.  (similar to the KickAsh Basket which is not available for the Jr.)  Since it has holes in it, I can lift it out, shake over an ash pan, and put back with little problems.  I occasionally drop the original ash pan to clear any ash that has dropped, but never very much.  Works for me.  By the way, it is a stainless steel insert for an oil fryer.