turkey cook

baconator

bought this 16 lb bird fresh.  brined it and used a herb rub with butter.   smoked this at 325-350 with a pecan and an apple wood chunk.   I was very surprised when it was done in only 3 hours. I almost took it off sooner but luckily i probed the other thigh .  one was at 180F but  the other was at 160F.   had to keep it warm in our oven for 2 hours waiting for our company to come over since it was done way sooner then i had planned.   It still turned out fantastic and juicy though.  

10CB90D6-CB0F-48F2-9221-38888EE48756.jpeg

5E4D231D-CED1-4911-82A4-7DC6DA838D95.jpeg

0AE4EAF3-8324-4A44-9417-ED8135C197B7.jpeg

B5E83C91-D627-4A9B-BAC6-13761EAFA898.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By carminoz07
      I've been searching the forums to find an answer but haven't been able to.

Has anyone installed a fiberglass mesh gasket on the Vision S-Series? My felt of 3 years needs to be replaced and am wondering if there is one that will fit. I know KJ makes them for the classic 2 and 3... but there is a lot of talk about the hood locking clamp that applies the downward pressure needed to get a good seal. Any input is greatly appreciated. 
    • By JohnnyAppetizer
      Shelter in place turkey

• By Smokingdadbbq
      If you haven't tried dry brined spatchcocked turkey before you're missing out... created a quick how to for those unfamiliar with any of the techniques.

Still working out how to make videos so appreciate your candid feedback.... but not too candid lol jk 

• By Tarnation
      1 hour in to my first turkey on the Akorn.  I let it smoke @ 250 then upped the temperature to 325 to cook and crisp. More updates to come.

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      I really got started with assembly about three weeks ago.