My Spatchcocked Turkey.

Here's my yahdbyrd. Dry brined for in the fridge for two days. Then oiled it up put some salt & pepper garlic & onion powder and some of Paul Prudhomme's poultry magic. Cooked it over a full load of lump and 4 pieces of  cherry wood  with the heat deflectors in place. Filled an aluminum pan with carrots, onions, celery, water, and some chicken stock. Slapped the Byrd on at 350° and let it roll till the breast read 160°. Best Byrd yet! 

20171123_172955.jpg

20171123_183607.jpg

20171123_183626.jpg

20171123_183640.jpg

20171123_183651.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Is your rack resting directly on the disposable pan? I have considered doing that, but I was worried about the pan collapsing.

Speaking for myself and a Kamado Joe setup, there's enough room for the pan to rest on the deflectors (lowest position) and for the grate to sit on the rack like it normally would. I think @Big Biscuitdid the same. 

8 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Speaking for myself and a Kamado Joe setup, there's enough room for the pan to rest on the deflectors (lowest position) and for the grate to sit on the rack like it normally would. I think @Big Biscuitdid the same. 

My Pit Boss doesn't have a sweet rack system, dammit! Thanks for the response! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 10:06 AM, Brickbat said:

Is your rack resting directly on the disposable pan? I have considered doing that, but I was worried about the pan collapsing.

Like LargeRedJoe stated it the pan fits under the grate. 

Thanks all for the the kind words. B)

On 12/4/2017 at 8:06 AM, Brickbat said:

A quick way to take away your fear of the pan colapsing is to support the grill grate with something. I have use everything from fire bricks cut in half, to 1nch copper tubing cut to the proper length to fit under the grill grate. Pretty easy fix. Some times I just set a fire brick that I have  wrapped in foil in the middle of my drip pan with the grill grate resting on top of it. Happy Cooking.