rust to rust, ashes to ashes

On the subject of rust, I did a search a couple of hours ago and there are a number of products out there that claim to be rust inhibitors. Some are non-toxic (maybe all?). Many claim to bond to the steel or even the molecular structure of the steel. Some claim to work for up to 12 months. There is even a tape that can be used to cover parts that are subject to rust...I don't know how heat resistant it is. Or how heat resistant any of them are.

But if this is such a problem with the Akorn, surely someone has tried one or more of these products.

Anyone have experience, thoughts or insights?

• 3 months later...

I used to live in the deep south where humidity levels were always disgusting. Now that I live in the desert where we get at most 3 rainy days a year, and those days consist of a quick rain-shower, I don't have to worry. But when in the deep south or most anywhere else, cover it up...

• 2 months later...

There’s only 2 things that I have found on the Akorn that rust

The grill , use spray cooking oil if it’s dry or after high temp 

all the boots on the outside , if i was to buy a new Akorn again I would get replacement bolts at the beginning prob some nice stainless button heads 

I would highly recommend that you do not use rust inhibitors on any part that will be heated or come in contact with food. Vegetable oil and a wire brush are you best tools to clean up rusty spots and prevent rust.

I recently decommissioned my Akorn with a good bath and inspection. It was used "a lot" over 9 months, dozens of fires, and lived in a very sheltered spot outside. It saw rain once, on Day 2, and was dry since. 

The shell and lid was in excellent shape, bolts were not rusted. 

Fire bowl was working well, but there were rust spots, mostly on the lower edge that supports the fire grate. 

The fire grate's days are numbered, like any other wire fire grate. 

The ash pan looked fine and there were no sealing issues. I'd empty once/bag or so. 

Given the thermal stresses where most of the rust developed, I don't think there's anything you can do beyond replacing the fire box when it eventually rusts out. (I assume that sand blasting the fire bowl and powder coating with heat-resistant paint will cost more than new.)

Have fun,

Frank, who went ceramic...