Rotisserie turkey question

Shortyque

tDid the obligatory turkey for thanksgiving, but this was the first time on the Joetisserie.  Truth be told, this was only the third time I ever used the Joetisserie.  My setup was, coals  banked to each side, with an old metal bread loaf pan in the middle.  I filled the pan with water, mainly because I was afraid of grease hitting hot metal and making greasy smoke.  I had air dried the bird for about 15 hours in the fridge, then rubbed it with olive oil.  We sprinkled rub on the outside, and also worked some up under the skin. Also, we injected the breast with garlic butter.  The turkey really turned out tasty and juicy, but the skin was not crisp, in fact, we threw most of the skin away.  Did the water pan cause the rubbery skin?  The water was pretty much boiling, and maybe the vapor wasn't good?  I just can't imaging letting all that grease run into my grill, nor can I imaging the grease dripping into a screaming hot metal pan with no liquid.  Suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc........

DSC00712.2.jpg

DSC00713.2.jpg

Sounds like a good cook to me. as we seldom eat poultry skin at our house. I would much prefer a turkey that tastes good then one with a so so taste and crisp skin.  However, I would guess your water pan and moisture on and under the turkeys skin pre cook is the culpret in creating moist skin post cook. To stop the contents of your drip pan from frying create a sufficent (at least 1 inch sir space between the bottom of your pan dn your stone) I always try to set my drip pan on a grate with plenty of space below that above the stone. No real need for a water pan in a kamado (Water pans are for the dry er cooking environment of the  smoker genre) Also if you let your turkey or any poltury sit uncovered in the fridge for anywher from 2 to 4 hours to over night, you will get dry crisp skin post cook. 

Happy Cooking. 

22 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Sounds like a good cook to me. as we seldom eat poultry skin at our house. I would much prefer a turkey that tastes good then one with a so so taste and crisp skin.  However, I would guess your water pan and moisture on and under the turkeys skin pre cook is the culpret in creating moist skin post cook. To stop the contents of your drip pan from frying create a sufficent (at least 1 inch sir space between the bottom of your pan dn your stone) I always try to set my drip pan on a grate with plenty of space below that above the stone. No real need for a water pan in a kamado (Water pans are for the dry er cooking environment of the  smoker genre) Also if you let your turkey or any poltury sit uncovered in the fridge for anywher from 2 to 4 hours to over night, you will get dry crisp skin post cook. 

Happy Cooking. re

Thanks.  I agree about not needing moisture, but wasn't sure what else to do.  I really like the sand idea posted above, think i will try that next time.  

1 hour ago, Shortyque said:

Thanks.  I agree about not needing moisture, but wasn't sure what else to do.  I really like the sand idea posted above, think i will try that next time.  

Sand will stop the splater, but it won't allow you to use the drippings later in the cook. I think you will pleased with what the air space can do for you. I use a drip pan almost every cook and pretty much always collect the drippings. If you have to set your drip pan on top of your stone, you can use 1/2'" or  3/4'' copper elbows as spacers between the stone and the pan bottom.  3 or 4 elbows will make a steady pan base. 

10 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Sand will stop the splater, but it won't allow you to use the drippings later in the cook. I think you will pleased with what the air space can do for you. I use a drip pan almost every cook and pretty much always collect the drippings. If you have to set your drip pan on top of your stone, you can use 1/2'" or  3/4'' copper elbows as spacers between the stone and the pan bottom.  3 or 4 elbows will make a steady pan base. 

You're right. And while I personally don't save drippings very often (a lot of fat),  for a turkey it makes sense.

All that said, the sand serves the same purpose as the ceramic in a kamado--it acts as a heat sink and helps to maintain constant temps.

Water will actually prevent the temp from rising much above the 250° mark because when the water hits 212° it turns to steam. As long as there is  water in the pan you'll have a hard time getting temps up to 350°.

Such is the wisdom that was imparted to me by the same person who told me about the sand. I have never used water in my smokers...even when doing low and slow. So...if someone disagrees I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other. Just passing on collective wisdom. FWIW...

19 hours ago, DWFII said:

You're right. And while I personally don't save drippings very often (a lot of fat),  for a turkey it makes sense.

All that said, the sand serves the same purpose as the ceramic in a kamado--it acts as a heat sink and helps to maintain constant temps.

Water will actually prevent the temp from rising much above the 250° mark because when the water hits 212° it turns to steam. As long as there is  water in the pan you'll have a hard time getting temps up to 350°.

Such is the wisdom that was imparted to me by the same person who told me about the sand. I have never used water in my smokers...even when doing low and slow. So...if someone disagrees I'm not really in a position to say one way or the other. Just passing on collective wisdom. FWIW...

Interesting.  I was totally baffled why temps wouldn't go over 270, even with all vents wide open.  Now I know why!

19 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Thanks, I never tried that.  I have some pieces of a broken heat deflector (don't ask) that I could use for spacing between pan and stone.  I don't think that will work for a rotisserie set up though, because there is no stone to put the drip pan on.  

On 11/30/2017 at 2:36 PM, Shortyque said:

Thanks, I never tried that.  I have some pieces of a broken heat deflector (don't ask) that I could use for spacing between pan and stone.  I don't think that will work for a rotisserie set up though, because there is no stone to put the drip pan on.  

When I have a set up which does not use a stone, I use a spider to hold a drip pan, if I need one. (Think, a circle of grill rod in the middle with rod legs sticking out to rest on your fire ring, your stone or pan sits supported on the ring suspended in the middle of your kamado by the legs.). Some meats can drip into the fire and not present a major problem. However, chicken and most polutry drippings seem to produce an oily smoke that creates an acrid taste. That combined with the fact chicken and other polutry is a flavor sponge that picks up and retains all flavors, good and bad. 

• 11 months later...

I spun one last weekend as well. Your X-rack will fit on the firebowl ring. I put a piece of HD foil on it to try to shunt the drippings into the fire slowly, and it worked pretty well. I may try a metal pie pan that fits in the xrack hole, because there isnt much space between the xrack and the 15lb bird. I had some areas of SERIOUSLY AWESOME crispy skin, and some of regular eh skin. FIrst photo is 2 hours in, second is done (2.5 hours) the blackening is you see is from a BIT OF A FLARE UP that we had doing the final temp, a bunch of fat ran off the foil and WHOMP

didnt make it taste bad though.

IMG_3781.thumb.jpg.58f8aafe6d14b3dddee688f56dce5e39.jpgIMG_3782.thumb.jpg.584ad054a9a5685081edbda9ed26bfec.jpg