Jump to content

patiodaddyo

Akorn JR -looking terrible after seasoning. Paint coming off!

Recommended Posts

So I am literally 3 hours into Akorn Jr ownership, finished assembly, loaded it with some lump charcoal to season (per the instructions), checked on it some 20-30 minutes later and the rim around where the lid meets the base was black. I opened it and noticed the paint bubbling/cracking off. Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed. Anyone else have this issue? I did search and found a few topics but no real clear answers on the issue, like should I send it back, call the company, deal with it b/c the co. won't do anything about it?...

 

Editing to add pic. This is brand new, never cooked on.I cannot say that it didn't go over the recommended 400 degrees for seasoning but still, I wouldve used it to sear or bake at a much higher temp than 400 at some point. 

IMG_7569.JPG

IMG_7570.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that went to nuclear temps. I would try and get a replacement under warranty but realize this was user error. My guess is you had the vents wide open and you walked away for "20-30 minutes". That's all it would take. 

 

Also looking at the picture, you burned off all your seasoning which is another indication you let it get way to hot. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

400 should be nothing to an Akron. Is it possible they didn't insulate the steel?  My keg has gotten pretty thermonuclear and it's not very hot on the outside. Either that got crazy hot or I'm thinking they did something wrong with the insulation. Never heard of that before, but dang....that thing got burnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prowe said:

400 should be nothing to an Akron. Is it possible they didn't insulate the steel?  My keg has gotten pretty thermonuclear and it's not very hot on the outside. Either that got crazy hot or I'm thinking they did something wrong with the insulation. Never heard of that before, but dang....that thing got burnt.

 

No...... 

 

That got crazy hot enough to burn the seasoning off the grate. Nothing to do with the insulation.

 

Most Akorn users at one time or another allowed their Akorn to go nuclear. I once  went so hot in an Akorn Jr it turned 1/2 the gasket stark white (posted on here some where). It only takes a few, unattended minutes, to get out of hand. I'll say it again,  the total loss of seasoning on the grate tells the story. 

 

And it looks like briquettes. Bad idea. Yea that's a controversial topic but, without digging out the manual, I believe lump charcoal is recommended. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I would say that went to nuclear temps. I would try and get a replacement under warranty but realize this was user error. My guess is you had the vents wide open and you walked away for "20-30 minutes". That's all it would take. 

 

Also looking at the picture, you burned off all your seasoning which is another indication you let it get way to hot. 

 

 

Have two of these Jr.s and a Keg.  I'm thinking ckreef is right on.  User Error.  I've run mine up to 700˚ with nothing like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...don't have my Akorn yet but the big question this raised for  me was how could the exterior get so hot that the paint carbonized and peeled off? That doesn't seem like just operator error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a point of reference, recently I intentionally burned off my seasoning. Got the up temps up around 550-600F and tossed in the grate. Burnt the seasoning clean off. The temps this Jr hot must have been significantly higher to scorch the paint. Is the plastic handle on the top vent still intact? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my Akorn (not a Jr) for controlled temperature cooks.   I have a Stok that is basically uncontrollable for high temp cooks, so I don't have to subject the Akorn to anything over 450.  But the coals in that first picture looks like something I wouldn't walk away for for 20-30 minutes.  That looks scary hot, way beyond seasoning a cast-iron grate.   I think you cooked that thing, would be surprised if the upper vent even works now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just asking. Did you use a charcoal starter and throw a bunch of screaming hot charcoal into the acorn? These things don't take much to get up to temp. If you had a whole starter full and threw that on a load that was in the acorn...you for sure got wayyyy to hot. if it was dark out that thing prolly would been glowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DWFII said:

I don't know...don't have my Akorn yet but the big question this raised for  me was how could the exterior get so hot that the paint carbonized and peeled off? That doesn't seem like just operator error.

 

It can easily be operator error by simply opening up the vents and leaving them there, being forgetful,  a telephone call at the wrong time, a distraction, whatever.  Once you hit 400--500˚F they can shoot up in temps pretty quick.  Metal Kamado's will self destruct.  I don't know about ceramic but a few years back, a member of the Broil King Keg site, who lived in Florida as I recall had a similar thing happen, he posted the pictures.  I'm a member there.  His Keg literally burned up.  He left the vents open and forgot about it.  I do not recall all of the details.

 

This is an unfortunate learning curve but mistakes happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K'man said:

This is an unfortunate learning curve but mistakes happen.

 

Oh aye, I ken that fine.

 

But I can't help feel some sympathy for @patiodaddyo regardless of it being operator error or not. Brand spanking new grill....makes me wish I'd held out for a ceramic...of any kind. I have years of experience (with other cookers) but suspect it could happen to anyone. 

 

Makes me nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DWFII said:

 

Oh aye, I ken that fine.

 

But I can't help feel some sympathy for @patiodaddyo regardless of it being operator error or not. Brand spanking new grill....makes me wish I'd held out for a ceramic...of any kind. I have years of experience (with other cookers) but suspect it could happen to anyone. 

 

Makes me nervous.

 

He hasn't posted anything further,  so we don't know much of what else went on but if he call's Char-Griller they might help him out, their customer service is really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, K'man said:

 

He hasn't posted anything further,  so we don't know much of what else went on but if he call's Char-Griller they might help him out, their customer service is really good.

 

I hope you're right. I hate to sound like a broken record but recently that has not been my experience.

 

About a week ago +/-,  I sent them an email asking for clarification on the thickness of the metal on the Akorn...as well as relating a less-than-satisfactory phone conversation (detailed in a separate thread here) I had with their receptionist(?).To date, I have received no reply...not even an acknowledgement.

 

That said, I have had a Smokin' Pro for maybe 15(?) years. Chargriller has, in the past,  always been really good at standing behind their product. They sent me a new ash tray, no questions asked, when the charcoal grate broke on my original

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...