JDEaston

Shun Knives Recomendations

I realize you said Shun, but if you check out the cktg site you’ll find some really well made knives for less money. I’ll also say that I’m in the camo of only really need two to four knives to do everything. As already said, this rabbit hole runs deep, we’ve been Dow it before. 

58 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I still need (OK want) a few more knives. My sharpener arrived today (post in a few days). I'm going to visit CKTG again soon. 

I feel the same way.  I want more!  A friend is leading me a bunch of his knives.  The types of blades on most people’s bucket list.  They are great and fun!  Trust me, each one I pick up I say wow, I want this.  

That being said, I have realized that my sharpening skills are not anywhere near his.  That extra kick in sharpening makes a huge difference.  I suspect I will keep practicing until my blades glide through onions horizontally.  

Does anyone have any links to good stone sharpening tutorials? I jumped in on the deep end with knives, and realized I've never been responsible for sharpening anything this well made (that should be equally well taken care of) before. 

Also, I love CKTG

Depends on the current condition of your edge. If you started with a good knife/edge, that’ll do it, you might want a 600, your call. I also think a good strop is essential, could possibly replace the 6k. 

10 hours ago, darkborne said:

1k, 3k, 6k good enough to start?

I would guess yes. 

Chevk out peter nowlan (sp?) knife planet on YouTube.  He has a series of tutorials. I know the theory.  Working on putting it to practice. 

12 hours ago, darkborne said:

Does anyone have any links to good stone sharpening tutorials? I jumped in on the deep end with knives, and realized I've never been responsible for sharpening anything this well made (that should be equally well taken care of) before. 

Also, I love CKTG

I just got a wicked edge field and stream pro. I was terrible with the whetstones since I have no experience sharpening. I scuffed up my Wusthof chef and Santoku before I got the WE. 

Man an this thing gets knives SCARY sharp quick, even as a newbie. There is no big risk to wreck the finish on your knives, since there is a vice mechanism with controlled arms that govern the angles used for sharpening.

They have several systems and the stones are interchangeable.

https://wickededgeusa.com/

Check out the edge I put on this old beat up cleaver.

B8EC50DF-96D5-49E2-9F58-6428FFFBB411.jpeg

22 hours ago, darkborne said:

1k, 3k, 6k good enough to start?

Which stones are you looking at?

Sharpening on stones is a combination of hand/eye coordination and feel. I learned from the Japanese Knife imports youtube channel. I'm not a pro but I'm competent enough  to maintain the edges on my knives. 

11 hours ago, Jackerman said:

I just got a wicked edge field and stream pro. I was terrible with the whetstones since I have no experience sharpening. I scuffed up my Wusthof chef and Santoku before I got the WE. 

Man an this thing gets knives SCARY sharp quick, even as a newbie. There is no big risk to wreck the finish on your knives, since there is a vice mechanism with controlled arms that govern the angles used for sharpening.

They have several systems and the stones are interchangeable.

https://wickededgeusa.com/

Check out the edge I put on this old beat up cleaver.

B8EC50DF-96D5-49E2-9F58-6428FFFBB411.jpeg

I have made the leap to free hand using some older stones that were gifted to me.  Practice, practice, practice.  

1) use a sharpie to mark your edge. Watch for the sharpie to be ground off quickly.  

2) establish a burr

3) fatigue that burr off. I think this is the key. 

4) Repeat on higher stones. 

If if anyone has stones they want to part with I could be interested.  

1 hour ago, slap1914 said:

Sharpening on stones is a combination of hand/eye coordination and feel. I learned from the Japanese Knife imports youtube channel. I'm not a pro but I'm competent enough  to maintain the edges on my knives. 

What are you using for stones?  I have corse grit King and midrange norton. They all work...

i am borrowing a set of Chosera stones and a Jnat for finishing from a friend.  Definitely makes the job easier.  I am considering picking up a set of Shapton splash and goes.  

2 hours ago, Ben S said:

What are you using for stones?  I have corse grit King and midrange norton. They all work...

i am borrowing a set of Chosera stones and a Jnat for finishing from a friend.  Definitely makes the job easier.  I am considering picking up a set of Shapton splash and goes.  

All of my stones are sold by JKI and are splash and go. I currently have their Gesshin 1500 and 3000 stones and their Maido 7000. I don't currently have a coarse stone. 

23 hours ago, slap1914 said:

I'm looking at either getting some shaptons, or perhaps mixing and matching the next tier up from a couple different manufacturers. 

Just for eye candy here is my latest acquisition. I've also got a nice Kiri VG-10 bunka on the way I'm excited to get my hands on. 

IMG_20180113_063814_008.jpg

1 hour ago, darkborne said:

I'm looking at either getting some shaptons, or perhaps mixing and matching the next tier up from a couple different manufacturers. 

Just for eye candy here is my latest acquisition. I've also got a nice Kiri VG-10 bunka on the way I'm excited to get my hands on. 

IMG_20180113_063814_008.jpg

Very nice.