• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Sign in to follow this  
JDEaston

Shun Knives Recomendations

I'm looking for feedback on the different Shun lines to start a collection for my wife. She's in need of a new Santoku knife and I feel like Shun is a nice start for a Japanese collection. It will be one of her Christmas gifts and we try not to spend a ton of money on each other so I was wanting to keep the price of the knife in the $200 range. I've been looking at the premier line which seems to be great. Does anyone have any experience with the premier line from Shun or any other recomendations?

I own 3 Shun Hikari knives-one 8" chefs, 1 6" chefs and 1 7" santoku.  They are spectacular knives.

I also own 1 6" Shun Fuji chefs knife-also a spectacular knife.

Finally, I own 1 Shun Dual Core 8" chefs knife.  

I love them all; if I had to choose, I'd say the Hikaris are my favorites.

Williams-Sonoma has a really good sale on Shun going on until tomorrow.  

I have both the 8" and the 6" premier  chefs knives along with a premier line steel. They are excellent knives, both beautful, and capable tools. The traditional hammerwork on the sides of the blades really make them standout. Fine Japanese knives like these are made for slicing, and as you can imagine they do that extremely well. With just a little practice you can slice a ripe tomato so thin you can read print through it, if you lay the slice  on a piece of newspaper. I love to make margarita pizza and the ability to slice uniform sliver thin tomato slices really stepped up my game. One thing you will learn immediately, is that the blades are extremely thin. As such, you will need to develop a technique that keeps them slicing up and back with out twisting, choping and moving the knife sidewiays while the blade is anchored to your board. This was one of my favorite techniques when I used american / european style knives. I would set the knife blade  in a pile of herbs, or anything else I wanted to chop fine, anchor the tip of the blade to my board with my left hand, and chop up and down while rotating the knife to the right and left. I tried this with my Shuns and immediately felt tension in the blade as it is really too thin and fine for this technique. Now my Global knives, which are also Japanese blades, handle this type of work just fine. But not my high end Shuns,  and I relegate my Shuns to slicing only . One thing that Shun repeatedly stresses is do not leave your knives blades wet for any lenth of time, as they say it will cause the blades to possibly chip. I make it a practice to wipe my blades dry between each task. Shun classics are fine knives as well. Also I have a few Shun Soras which are Shuns economy line. With the Soras, think a combination of Japanese knives with a Victorinox type quality. Soras are fine knives, I have a 6"chefs and a utility slicer / paring knife which my wife loves to use. Very light and manageable while incredibly sharp and precise. Happy knife shopping. 

Thanks for all of the information. I'm concerned about the handle on the premier line being a little too big after KismetKado commented, my better half certainly can't palm a women's basketball. Does anyone have any ideas as to a Shun Santoku that has a smaller, more female friendly handle? She's been using a Santoku knife from J.A. Henckels for years, which in my opinion has a pretty large handle as well, so it may not be that big of an issue for her. Regardless I would like to find her the best, most comfortable knife I can in the $200 range though and then build from there and unfortunately there isn't anywhere here locally (that I know of) that offers any of these knives so that she could handle them prior to me making the purchase. 

http://chefknivestogo.com  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/santokuknives.html

Call the owner...Mark. 

Nice guy. He can help you out. You won't be able to handle it but he can suggest something that would fit your budget and handle requirements. 

Not affiliated in any way, but have bought a few knives from them. 

Good luck!

3 hours ago, landscaper said:

http://chefknivestogo.com  https://www.chefknivestogo.com/santokuknives.html

Call the owner...Mark. 

Nice guy. He can help you out. You won't be able to handle it but he can suggest something that would fit your budget and handle requirements. 

Not affiliated in any way, but have bought a few knives from them. 

Good luck!

They have a great forum too. 

My wife is a shade less than 5'2',  quite petite, and has very small hands with not alot of distance between the heal of her hand and the top of her palm. Her favorite knives to use are our Global paring knife, and 5" utility knife (think a 5" chefs knife), and our Shun Sora line 6" chefs and utility / slicing knife. My wife pretty much avoids all our full size larger handled kitchen knives and uses just those she feels comfortable with. These four knives are her go to for everything she preps in the kitchen. She feels comfortable with  smaller handles as her grip is small and she  also likes light weight knives. I bought her a 6" Shun Premier but she really doesn't use it much. However, I really like the 6" for small veggie prep. 

DSC_3283.thumb.jpg.9744800e55d0d0663277323af7254054.jpg

here is a comparison pic of our Shun 8" premier and the two chefs knives my wife  actually uses;

DSC_3284.thumb.jpg.c4a19223c6fa243fb754efd7ce8aea38.jpg

My wife and I have a collection of the Shun Classics including a 7 inch Santoku and a 10 inch Chef knife.  I use the Santoku a lot but prefer my Wustohf Chef knife because the Shun does not have a bolster. The Shuns are a pleasure to use and hold their edges. The look of the new lines of Shun look awesome.  

I have a couple of Shun Classics

A 10inch Chef knife and an 8inch slicer

I love the Chef knife and the thing that attracted me to the line initially was they offered their Classic range with handles balanced for Left Handers. As a leftie, this was a nice touch

I think the left handed line has since been discontinued but they can still be found at certain retailers