• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
John Setzler

Experimental Dough Idea

John- I'm always looking for bread dough improvements.  Don't know how much time I'll have between now and Christmas, but after for sure.  Let me know your time line and we'll see what we can do.   Currently working in the kitchen oven on the Christmas Paska loaves then the nut roll cookies (kolache) and poppy seed rolls.  Pizza will get back on the table soon.5a254e7dde7c8_ScreenShot2017-12-04at8_32_30AM.png.564820779cb7cb0eee52905822efafce.png

Maybe.

Being a Slovak, my family and  I have made Kolache for years.

This dough trial applicable?

If not,  are you willing to post what you do for Kolache? I'm looking to update or refine.

M.

Here's my plan for this experiment and I have just started it myself tonight:

Day 1:

50g flour

35g water (room temp)

0.1g yeast (1/5 of 1/4 tsp)

Combine, cover, and set out for 24 hours at room temp

Day 2:  

Add 52g room temp water to the previous day's mix and combine completely.  

Add 75g flour and mix completely.

Cover and set out for 24 hours at room temp

Day 3:

Add 87g room temp water to the previou day's mix and combine completely.

Add 125g flour and mix completely.

Cover and set out for 24 hours at room temp

Day 4:

In the bowl of a mixer, add 250g flour, 175g water, 14g salt, 10g sugar, and 10g extra virgin olive oil and mix with a dough hook until completely combined.  Once combined, add the Day 3 mixture to the mixing bowl.  Knead with a dough hook on medium speed for 5 minutes.  

Dump out on floured surface and shape into a tight dough ball.  Place dough ball seem side down into a large oiled bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temp for 2 hours.

Remove to floured surface and cut into 3 equal parts.  Shape each part into a tight dough ball and place in well-oiled container (covered or with a lid).  Place each container in the fridge.

Day 5:

Wait.

Day 6:

Wait.

Day 7:

Take dough balls out of the fridge and rest on the counter at room temp for 60-90 minutes.

Shape into pizzas, top, and bake at 500-550ish temperature range.

This is a technique I haven't seen before and I hope it will produce something nice in the world of pizza crust flavor.  This is basically a deconstruction of one of my basic dough recipes:

500g flour  (100%)

350g water (70%)

14g salt (2.8%)

10g sugar (2.0%)

10g olive oil (2.0%)

The idea is sort of a multi stage biga/poolish concept followed by a cold ferment.  When I broke down the amounts for the first 3 days, I used the same 70% hydration ratio to maintain through each of those stages.  THAT may not work as well.  It may work better in those pre-ferment stages to use 100% hydration. That could be changed easily enough by using equal flour/water weights for the first three days and then just using less water at the day 4 stage.  

I won't know how well this works until I try to make pizza with it next Sunday afternoon (or possibly Monday in my case).  This might be over complicated.  It might not work out.  It might be horrible.  It might produce something just average.  It  might be the best pizza crust we have ever had.  Let's find out.

Interesting. 

I think you will have to keep an eye on it to see how it ferments with such a low yeast amount added and no sugar.  7 or 8 days may be the right amount of time.

At .3% yeast...for me 3 days is about it before it gets to the point where its starting to get over fermented. I'm at 1% sugar and 63% hydration. 

My only concern with your method is no sugar till day 4. What about 1% at the beginning and 1% at day four. Give it something to feed on from the get go. 

My crust at my rates taste best at day 3. 

Looking forward to the results. 

11 hours ago, BBQ Bob said:

John- I'm always looking for bread dough improvements.  Don't know how much time I'll have between now and Christmas, but after for sure.  Let me know your time line and we'll see what we can do.   Currently working in the kitchen oven on the Christmas Paska loaves then the nut roll cookies (kolache) and poppy seed rolls.  Pizza will get back on the table soon.5a254e7dde7c8_ScreenShot2017-12-04at8_32_30AM.png.564820779cb7cb0eee52905822efafce.png

Nice. Grew up on that stuff. Never made it myself. 

Yours look great! Usually get a care package from PA. and devour it. 

Made pierogies before. Love em. 

Upon review, my thoughts}:

-there is not enough yeast to go that long of a ferment unless the native (in your kitchen air) gets involved to keep things moving alone.  Think San Fran sourdough.  If that's the case each person should experience a slightly different taste because we will each have our own native yeast culture in our crust;

-the coast ihas very low humidity this time of year, so my initial dough is very dry compared to what I'd start out with for a normal dough.  As most bread recipes say, the water/flour is approximate and will need adjusting for each kitchen. 

-will be fun to see what we think of the crust when we get to day 7.  This will be the most anticipated pie I've ever made.

-in the interest of science I'm going to follow exactly as specified and not adjust water/flour regardless of visual inputs

-going to attach photos of each day so y'all can compare to yours.  If they get bothersome, let me know and I'll stop loading them.

IMG_0337.thumb.jpg.d8396f7b043e30869804be7a148f342a.jpg

FWIW...and perhaps not apropos of anything...my wife makes pizza dough with a 45 year old sourdough that she "grew" from scratch and has babied and carried with us everywhere we go.

AFAIK, she takes it out the morning of, adds flour to make the dough in the afternoon, proofs it for an hour or two and rolls it out. Then she feeds the starter.

I could have the sequence skewed a bit...it's her "power" as who should, but it is perhaps the best pizza crust I have ever tasted...and never soggy.

Agree, hope this works as well as my other one does,  If all goes well, I plan on taking one of the 3 dough balls and put it in the freezer for a week and then make the pie.  I love pizza and don't know if I can wait 7 days each time, but if it freezes well, so I only have to take it out the morning of the day I want a pie, this will be a real winner.

Thanks for sharing your ideas