Sweet Potato-Stuffed Baked Apple

ckreef

I wanted to do a baked apple cook for the December challenge. Got looking around the internet and found a recipe stuffed with Squash. Switched it up a bit to use sweet potatoes instead of Squash. I basically followed the recipe technique but winged it a bit when switching over to sweet potatoes. 

The basic ingredients. 

SBAa.thumb.jpg.01f2473fea7c5b1e8d5bd95def809628.jpg

Cut up the sweet potato. Put it in my enamel coated CI, cover in foil then onto the KK at around 380*  until tender (about an hour).  

SBAb.thumb.jpg.7378dd408b9b1532c12da73b96c459b6.jpg

SBAc.thumb.jpg.4c89baf5e40fca297f2db8264af45e01.jpg

Made up a mixture of equal parts fresh squeezed OJ, water and brown sugar. 

SBAd.thumb.jpg.e2aaaf150d286478fe9894a7c55e1ed6.jpg

Prepped the apples by coring them out but not all the way through the bottom. Save the removed apple chunks. Peel the top half. 

SBAe.thumb.jpg.01449da956f39bbcc6e2c8e847e997bc.jpg

Put them in a ceramic dish. Baste with the OJ mixture and on the KK at 350* uncovered until slightly tender (about an hour). Baste with OJ mixture every 15 minutes. 

SBAf.thumb.jpg.1a5528cb36290da1424f7ab7e724a7f3.jpg

SBAg.thumb.jpg.62d40b220b13cb5d8f4e154eadc1b0db.jpg

Meanwhile mash up the sweet potato. Cook the leftover apple chunks in butter for a bit then add in the mashed sweet potato. 

SBAh.thumb.jpg.94ce5e79d62590dfcd664dcc1442ba29.jpg

SBAi.thumb.jpg.fec67a0003bb741228c0d1747178a68f.jpg

SBAj.thumb.jpg.5e42b315999dd463c1a6984d6d269563.jpg

Add a pinch of Chinese 5 spice, 2 pinches of cinnamon and about 1/8 cup of brown sugar. Stir it up then stuff into the apples. Pour a OJ mixture over and a little sprinkle of cinnamon on top. 

SBAk.thumb.jpg.74cb398f817208fe5807fcaca71db750.jpg

Bake in the KK at 350* for an additional 30 minutes basting every ten minutes. 

SBAl.thumb.jpg.6ffbba4397eb39d2f0018bba7c0ab88c.jpg

I was really pleased with the way this came out. The baked stuffed apple is a solid technique that I will do again. You could stuff with lots of different ingredients. If I go to my sister's house for Christmas will cook these for her. 

SBAm.thumb.jpg.931019f824b61c202caa5160cb6af80e.jpg

I thought this a great side. The apples were still crisp.. @ckreef thought they needed more cooking time..but Me, thought it was awesome the way it was. The crisp of the apple gave it that something it needed... I hope we have this again.. Its a side that could be ate any time. 

I would think a little crisp coupled with the sweet potato would be a good combination. One of my favorite sweet potato casseroles was one my sister in law made with a granny smith apple topping. My family would love these, and they look beautiful!

11 hours ago, BBQ Bob said:

Yummy !!!!  Nothing says Christmas like baked apples, sweet taters, and cinnamon sticks.  Put them all together and DYN -O-Mite      Nice eats. 

TY BBQ Bob, definitely a holiday type side dish. 

10 hours ago, shuley said:

That looks tasty and has an awesome presentation. Perfect for the holidays!

TY Shuley, it does make a nice presentation but not sure about the pot holders in the picture. Those little dishes were really hot. 

9 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

LOVE the cook, details, presentation, inspiration and great start to my day, reading your post.  I'm working on mine this afternoon, I hope.

TY Smoke and Awe. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Hopefully we'll have a few more entries than last month. 

7 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

What a great start to the December challenge!  That’s an awesome idea for a side.   I never would have thought to do that in a million years!  And I can just imagine how great it tasted. With a killer money shot to boot!  Way to go, @ckreef!  You’ve got us off and running.

TY KismetKamado. I too though it was a pretty awesome idea to stuff a whole apple like that. There is a similar technique to cook individual apple pies using a whole apple as the "pie pan". Will give that a try one day. 

2 hours ago, skreef said:

I thought this a great side. The apples were still crisp.. @ckreef thought they needed more cooking time..but Me, thought it was awesome the way it was. The crisp of the apple gave it that something it needed... I hope we have this again.. Its a side that could be ate any time. 

TY sweetie. It was a little crisp for my liking. I might do this again at my sister's for Christmas but will probably do straight baked apples in a hollowed out apple.

26 minutes ago, O C said:

I would think a little crisp coupled with the sweet potato would be a good combination. One of my favorite sweet potato casseroles was one my sister in law made with a granny smith apple topping. My family would love these, and they look beautiful!

TY O C. Apples, sweet potatoes, brown sugar and cinnamon. All flavors that go well together. A pinch of Chinese 5 spice to give it a little "spice" component.