Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Another round with Umai

I wish had started one before Thanksgiving...I guess I'll wait for the Christmas season sales for now (the piggly wiggly usually has killer prices on whole rib eye loins the week before Xmas)

4 hours ago, beerleague said:

Curious why you cut into steaks before removing the outer "leather" or whatever that is called. Does it make it easier once cut into steaks?

I think it's easier to trim the edges of the cut steak than to shave it off the whole roast.  

On 12/7/2017 at 12:17 PM, John Setzler said:

umairibeyes2.thumb.jpg.0ca8c068abf0738edba1cd0ede73eaa8.jpg

umairibeyes.thumb.jpg.47f182f29d083658b8476a3361633306.jpg

I did another 14lb whole ribeye with the Umai bags... 35 days....

Looks fantastic!!!

3 minutes ago, St1brew said:

Do you need a special refrigerator to use these? The steaks look awesome by the way!

No special refrigerator required - which is part of the appeal.  We have used a rather infrequently used beer fridge (don't worry, it's only infrequently used because we have multiple beer fridges) that doesn't get a lot of action so the temp stays more stable without having much activity.  We were very pleased with the results we got.  The in-laws spent a small fortune on a commercially dry aged piece of meat at Christmas, and ours were way better than that was at a similar amount of days.  

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

No special refrigerator required - which is part of the appeal.  We have used a rather infrequently used beer fridge (don't worry, it's only infrequently used because we have multiple beer fridges) that doesn't get a lot of action so the temp stays more stable without having much activity.  We were very pleased with the results we got.  The in-laws spent a small fortune on a commercially dry aged piece of meat at Christmas, and ours were way better than that was at a similar amount of days.  

Thanks for the info, we have a mini fridge that we currently don't even have plugged in(multiple beer fridges). So that would be up to the task. Maybe I'll take a look into these.