Improving a Cheap Lodge Cast Iron Pan

John Setzler

I have perhaps 20+ pieces of cast iron cookware and bakeware. Some nice old vintage pieces mixed in with a fair amount of newer [10-20 year old] Lodge.

In appearance and feel the smooth, thin cast vintage iron I own is beautiful indeed. Everyone should own at least 1 old school pan.

15 or 20 years ago it was pretty easy to get nice flat vintage cast iron at a somewhat reasonable cost. But...the old stuff is, well, old! Collectors and re-sellers have elevated prices beyond any reasonable true value whatsoever. Global market I suppose. Bastards.

However all is not lost. I have done the whole sanding down routine on most of my newer lodge  cookware and then seasoned well with Crisco. Overall I'm very happy with the Lodge products I own. In my opinion its well worth the effort. The food that comes off them won't know the difference between a revamped Lodge and a 1940's Griswold.

Lodge still makes a well built product that with a bit of effort can be made even better, 

Glenn

• 1 month later...

I have quiet a few cast iron pieces. I don’t claim to be an expert and will say I like the appearance of the slick pans a lot. 

I read an article that the says the slick pan vs rough pan is more eye appeal and a mental thing than the actual functionality. The article went on to say the surface of rougher pans holds the oil in those larger depressions that the smoother surface doesn’t have.

Sticking was more about seasoning, and preparation prior to cooking with good oil and preheat. 

I don’t know how well I did at articulating the article but I don’t have any issues with my Rough pans. 

I do draw the the line though ......

they have to be American Made. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 7:32 PM, John Setzler said:

.... THIS pan will not be a pan that I use on the grill. It will be for stovetop applications only.  It might find its way to the grill if what I am doing is over indirect heat.  Grills ruin the seasoning on cast iron.  

I use my cast iron on the grill all the time with no noticeable problems. Given that a pan sits directly in the flame on a gas stovetop, I’m not understanding why sitting it on a grill grate would be any harder on the pan’s surface? (I’m asking, not arguing.)

I use various pieces of cast iron cookware on the grill all the time and have not had any problems.

Some of the same cookware is also used on our electric stove - no problems there either.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Cabellas cast iron skillet I use for a heat deflector . Yes it did burn the seasoning off but I double wrap it in tin foil . I read about the grape seed oil and will try and reseason it with that.  Herman