Lancejames

Golden's Cast Iron Kamado Review request

I may eventually be in the market for a second kamado (I own the Blaze aluminum kamado and love it), and wanted to know if anyone owns the Golden's cast iron kamado. If anyone owns this kamado or knows someone with the kamado, would you mind giving an update? I assume that this kamado cooks quite evenly (considering its mass) since my Blaze performers so well. I am a huge fan of anything made of cast iron, but was curious how easy it was to get the Golden's to pizza/searing temperature (600+ degrees). I made pizzas the other night on my blaze and think I did not add enough charcoal for a total of (4) pizzas to stay at 550-600 on a cool night; I blew through all of my charcoal quiskly. Also, has anyone smoked something like a brisket (12 plus hours) and noticed much temperature variance (My blaze does quite well). 

Why do I want a second kamado you ask?

1. Because I want to be able to cook multiple meats at different temps at the same time, or perhaps smoke one thing while using the rotisserie on the Blaze.  

2. I want to be able to cook a lot of food (I enjoy cooking for others) 

3. I'm a like a kid with his toys; my toys now revolve around food and beer... 

Not sure I've seen anyone post that they own a CI kamado although I think there is a post about them on here somewhere. 

As for multiple kamados - most of us understand the need for that. I currently have 3 ;)

I own one and love it. Have made pizzas several times that came out great. (full disclosure, I'm part of the company that makes them in Columbus GA!)

As for totally independent experiences on Golden's Cast Iron Cooker, you might want to check out some of Lunchman's posts on BBQ-Bretheren. There are others out there as well.

Good luck!

g

I realize this request for a review of a Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker goes back quite a bit, but I figured I'd start off as a new member of the forum with a review. I've had the grill about a year and a half, ordered directly from the Goldens' Foundry in Columbus GA. Before ordering, I called the folks at Goldens', they graciously answered all my questions about the cooker and I knew that this was a company and family I wanted to do business with. I had some issues with the first grill delivered (all shipping company problems), one of the VPs at Goldens' called me directly and said they were shipping me a new cooker, no questions asked. I don't think I've ever had customer service like that from any company. 

Here are some pics of the cooker in my garage shortly after delivery -

DSCN3871_zpsjeu3tgux.jpg

Single piece cast iron firebox with the optional divider plate (used for two zone cooks) -

DSCN3868_zpsxrormohd.jpg

Cast iron half grates. The grates have legs on them, can be turned upside down to get closer to the fire or stacked as in this photo for additional grilling surface. Even with just two grates installed, one can be legs up, the other legs down which allows for a nice reverse sear -

DSCN3869_zpse72qfzaa.jpg

Searing plate / heat diffuser. Similar to a BGE platesetter, but a bit more versatile as it can be used for searing. I've only recently used it for searing, the results were fabulous -

DSCN3870_zpsd45y3xf8.jpg

Lower vent control -

DSCN3872_zps8eag6fgt.jpg

Upper vent and thermometer -

DSCN3875_zpsirgtdsa4.jpg

Normal grate height -

20170425_192651_zpsg6bhw6t2.jpg

20170425_192728_zpsujyadqgv.jpg

The usual questions:

Does it rust? No. It took all of one cook to season the inside, no worries about it ever rusting. The outside is powder coated, nothing to worry about there either. 

Does the outside get hot? Yes, but no hotter than a ceramic Kamado. Don't put your hands on it, but it's not scorching hot where you'd be worried about burns if you touched it.

Does it take long to heat up? No longer than a ceramic Kamado. Usually once I light my lump it's ready for cooking in about 20 minutes. 

Does it take long to cool down? Nope, within an hour or two it's dropped its temp where it doesn't register on the thermometer.

Weight? 330 lbs, plus the cart which is around another 100-125 or so. Easily wheeled around on my deck, but this isn't a cooker you're going to take tailgating. I opted for the smaller of the two carts, I didn't need the larger cart with the side shelves. Goldens' does make a smaller 14" cooker.

Diameter: 20.5" cooking surface. Plenty of room.

My experience with this cooker has been fantastic. Coming from the Bubba Keg the learning curve was minimal, mainly getting used to the vent controls which took about 2 or 3 cooks. It's easy to cook on and quite versatile. I'll never have to worry about a Humpty Dumpty moment with this cooker. It'll last forever and in 500 years someone will be grilling on it.

That's it for this quick review. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

-lunchman

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      I was fortunate enough to get to partner with Wicked Edge to demo and evaluate this sharpening system.  I have been playing with it a good bit this week to learn how it works and get the diamond stones broken in and ready to get down to business...

This is the Wicked Edge WE-130 mounted on their aluminum base.  This base is 8"x10"x1" and it weights about 8 pounds to give the sharpener good stability on whatever work surface you choose.  They also have a 12"x10"x1.25" granite base option that weighs about 15lbs if you want something heavier.  The sharpener also comes with a template for the mounting screw holes so you can make your own base out of whatever material you like if you want to.  The bases are optional and do not come with the sharpener kit.

The sharpening angle adjustments on each side of the WE-130 go from 13° to 35° in 1° increments.  The small set screw on the right edge of the arm base allows you to micro adjust between 1° settings if you are using the optional digital angle gauge.  See later photos....

This cam arm is an update from previous versions of the wicked edge.  When you position your blade in the holder,  you just lower this arm to create the tension to hold it rather than using a hex key to tighten it in place.  

The blade holder holds up to a 3/16" thick blade.  There is an optional attachment for 1/4" thick blades if needed.

The WE-130 kit comes with 100/200 and 400/600 grit diamond stones for sharpening.  For most applications that is completely sufficient.  Wicked Edge provided me with the 800/1000 grit diamond stones and the 5/3.5 micron diamond paste leather strops also.  Wicked Edge offers a vast array of additional stones and strops if you are more interested in being able to produce a super high polished mirror edge on your blade bevels.  I don't mess with that level of detail on my kitchen knives but I enjoy having it on my pocket knives.  I will likely be adding a couple of their ceramic stones to this collection in the near future.  

You can also get a digital angle gauge if you are interested in absolute perfection of the angle and I would also consider this a requirement if you want to use the add-on low angle adapter to get angles below 13°.  I have a collection of Dalstrong Shogun series knives that I intend to sharpen with this unit and they have bevels in the 10° range that I want to be able to maintain.  

For todays' photo session and testing, I got out my Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) Lake Design Thunderbolt 2 knife.  This is a tanto style blade that takes a little extra attention when sharpening, but the Wicked edge handled it perfectly.  This knife lives in my Man Cave and it's primary function cutting open boxes and bags of charcoal.  It takes a beating.  This was a cheap knife (about $20 or so) and it has held up to several years of pretty hard abuse.  

I used the digital angle gauge on this knife just to familiarize myself with the operation of the adjustments.  I would not normally care for that much precision on a knife like this.  I like 21-24° bevels on my pocket knifes normally.  They hold their edge and stay sharp much longer with a wider angle bevel.  

My next project with this is to make some video on the process of actually setting this up and sharpening some knives.  I have two kitchen knives I have been saving to sharpen on video with this.  The two knives are my Henckels Zwilling Pro 4" paring knife and 8" chef's knife.   I haven't used those knives in a while but both of them are in bad need of a good sharpening.  

#WickedEdge

• By DiannaDZ
      Just purchased a 12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet at Home Depot for $19.99.  Pretty good price, 2 Handle so it should fit in most kamado type grills.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Frying-Pan-L10SKL/302283848

• By HokieOC
      I have the cast iron griddle for my KJ and have used it on the top position.  I'd like to try steaks seared on the lower position, or pork chops like in John's new video.  But with CI, especially at high searing temps, wouldn't not only the temp but proximity to the fire burn the seasoning off?
    • By Brad45
      Hi All,

I just purchased an Akorn. As I am working to season the cast iron cooking grate, I am finding that it is very rough. Almost the consistency of 40 grit sandpaper. When I rubbed on the oil for the seasoning process it shredded both paper towels and a terry cloth rag. It almost seemed to tear apart the aluminum foil I used to clean up after the first cook.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have tricks/tips to correct it?

Thanks, Brad
    • By HokieOC
      Wanted to try something a bit different this weekend and utilize the new Lodge grill press I got.  Decided to grill a pork tenderloin then thin slice it and make Cuban sandwiches on the ribbed side of the cast iron griddle.  They turned out really well, and I think I might actually be starting to get the hang of getting the grill up to higher temps quickly--don't want to jinx it tho (past efforts have taken much longer than expected and often not reached desired temp).

Did a 4-5 hour marinade on the tenderloin in a mixture of sauteed onions/garlic, salt, pepper, orange juice and lime juice.  Cooked at 375, flipped after eight minutes, again after another eight as it wasn't as done as I'd like it, took it off after about 20 mins and wrapped it to rest while I build the sandwiches and brought the press and a small CI pan up to temp on the grates.  Sliced after a 10 minute or so rest, it was very tender and not at all dry which I'd read several accounts of that being a problem with tenderloins.  Four mins per side with the sammies and they were good to go.  Pretty easy and will definitely be doing this one again.  I couldn't find Cuban bread so tried Portuguese rolls which I think worked out well but next time with more notice I'd track down the real thing.